Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D9 Track Separation

Daniel Davis ยท 2023-07-15 19:46

How does one go about separating a track? Need to rebuild the final drive on my D9D 18A. Built a track pin press that I thought would get the job done but I got up to 70 tons of force on my 100 ton ram and my press frame started bending (a pair of 1"x3" plates, bending the strong way). Moved the pin about 1/4" on the inside (enough to push the link together) but that's all I can do. How many ton should it take to press the master pin out? Does it take more than 70 tons or could my pins just be worn enough that they are catching on the worn edges and I need to get the pin centered in everything before it will come out?

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2023-07-15 19:50

    Are you pushing the master pin?

  2. #2Daniel Davis2023-07-15 20:42

    Yes

  3. #3tctractors2023-07-16 15:47

    Pressing out old worn pins is not viable, master pins show a lot more wear than the standard pin so it is best practice to fit a new replacement, 70 ton on a D9 pin is not going to make much headway I feel, besides you need to pack the links to stop them pressing together and binding up the pin, I would get a new pin and gas out the old one and save yourself a lot of time, the F/Drive will be your next drama as the drive on the early D9's with the big hub are the 4 gear type with the steering case dry unless converted to a wet back end, the dead shaft on these have a big cavity that holds lots of sparkle and always need drawing out of the case to clean out, the later D9's had just a plain drilling that could be flushed, to pop the rim you should need at least 80/90 tons to fetch them free, I pump them up around 70 ton then do the run and whack with the biggest hammer at least 5 times unless it comes free, if not I take it up in 10 ton steps and repeat the hammer thing until it behaves.

  4. #4Old Magnet2023-07-16 17:21

    If it's original type master pin it needs to be pushed from the inside-out once the plug is removed. If the pin end is smeared/worn any overlap needs to be removed. Probably best suited to a torch job as stated by others.

  5. #5chidog2023-07-16 20:08

    I used to remove those pins with a small ball peen hammer. I refuse to hurt myself on those things. Yeah a nice smoke wrench was involved as well. The parts that are bending on your press need to be made of an alloy steel and heat treated, and likely a bit beefyer.

  6. #6Daniel Davis2023-07-16 23:20

    It is not the original style. It has salt tracks with the one piece master pin. Looks like I will be making some sparks with the fire wrench.

  7. #7Daniel Davis2023-07-16 23:26

    Thank you for chiming in. Not many people left that remember these old D9Ds. I borrowed a puller set for a D9G that should get the sprocket off. What's it take to get the deadshaft out to clean it? I was under the impression that these were just the drilled passages as well and it was the D8s that had the cavity that needed cleaned... On a different note, do you know what it takes to convert to wet brakes? I have seen one 18a that was converted but nobody can tell me what needs changed...

  8. #8Old Magnet2023-07-17 00:36

    Service manual shows drilled passage in dead shaft.

  9. #9tctractors2023-07-17 15:45

    I can tell you that at 1 time the Dead Shaft had to be removed to clean out the crud that would hold inside the oil rifle, I always thought the modified shaft feed was a lot later than a 19A, as for your tracks if they are salt tracks they would be on a split master link ( Crock Joint?) I have converted a dry case to a wet case and it was a horrid task, this was 45+ years ago with cleaning out of the case etc taking 2 or more days, I tend to think we put D8H drums, bands and clutches in it and I recall lots of drilling and taping of threads inside the case, there was a CAT Service Bulletin on the procedure that I followed plus an adapter plate that turned the air blower drive into an oil pump drive and filter, as for the tooling to pull the rim I can tell you that nothing much from a D9G tool list is any good to pull your big hub drive down, so you will be at a loss with that kit, I still have the tack to tug em free but a big patch of water puts me off the job, wishing you all the Best with your efforts and if I can help in any way I will, on the shaft thing it is just a drilling all the way from the outer end until it gets to the Oil Labrynth (spelling?) its this bit that hold the sparkle.

  10. #10tctractors2023-07-17 15:50

    The chances of this type of early Master Pin in any D9 around now would be Very unusual.