Im having issues with my 2004 Daewoo 200 mega I just bought it in the fall with 5000 hours on it. Not greatly looked after when I bought it but got a good deal. It was very low on ATF so we fixed the seal and topped it up I use it for snow removal and have to travel between sites on the road. When I hit a hill it acts like the transmission is slipping and slows down to about 10km/hour. The engine doesn’t labour at all. I’m wondering if anyone can give me some guidance to diagnose or repair so that I can get it to hold some speed inroad gear Thanks
Welcome to HEF,eagle jeeper ! Have you changed the transmission filter and /or screen in it ?
10 mph may be normal for it on a hill . A machine with a lock up converter will climb hills a little faster.
No I haven't done anything to the transmission. Thought id get some guidance before I started spending money. Filter and screen seem like a good start. How would I tell if it has a lockup converter. Im really hoping this is not the norm.
In regards to the torque convertor. If it is a true lockup convertor it will mechanically become a like a solid shaft when the engine speed and transmission speed reach the same rpm's at a predetermined speed. In your situation the fact that the engine does not labor or lose rpm's when going full throttle and your ground speed is so slow, it is an indication of a problem with the torque convertor. But, you have to change the transmission filter, and the screen if it has one first. Carefully cut the old filter open and look for metal particles in it. The transmission oil level is full, right ???
yes fluid is full. I ll get a new filter ordered and clean that screen and see how we make out. Thanks for the help guys. I ll be back with the results
Don't forget the engine speed. Do you have a tachometer to know if the engine is turning the speed it should be?
Hi eagle jeeper, How do you check and set oil level in transmission? Engine at idle speed or stop? Must run at idle. Oil level then around 50 mm below center output shaft. Oil dipstick might be not correct. Secondly: engine doesn't labour. Lack of fuel? Same if you'd climb in reverse? Dirt in fuel suction?
Do you have the operation and maintenance manual? It should clearly explain how to check your oil level. As Bigbert suggests, you may not have enough oil. Does the engine surge when you experience this loss of road speed or does it appear to remain at a smooth steady rpm? Do you have a gear hold function? It should be a little gear with a lock on it. Try to select that, road it and see if that makes a difference?
Hi eagle creeper, The tranny is a ZF 4WG120 or 4 or 5 WG130 type? Type plate is somewhere at bottom of housing. Share an email address. Could possily help.