Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dancing Loader

Northart ยท 2008-12-04 01:21

I have a short video clip, tried to post it , won't work. I'd like to email to some computer whiz that can link it to the BB, it's outrageous or hilarious. It's a Cat loader doing a dance. Leave an email here, use "at" instead of @ so spammers can't use it. And I'll email it to you.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies33
  1. #1Caterpillar2008-12-04 02:00

    caterpillarD11R*at*gmail.com

  2. #2Northart2008-12-04 02:40

    Dancing Loader Video sent Hello CaterpillarD11R, Just sent the wmv to you, see what you can do to link it here for the readers. Thanks, :usa

  3. #3digger242j2008-12-04 02:59

    If it's hosted somewhere else, you can post a link to it from here. We don't have the ability to upload videos here the same way we can upload still photographs though.

  4. #4Northart2008-12-04 03:07

    wmv Hello Digger242j, The video clip was sent to me via email. I sure don't know where it would be hosted. I sure am not the greatest, with the computer. I sent it to the previous poster, maybe he can figure out how to do it. If your interested I can email it to you also. Northart

  5. #5Northart2008-12-04 11:53

    Caterpillar Dancing Loader Ha, I found it on youtube.com Just typed in Caterpillar Dancing Loader. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVypn1qo1sQ Enjoy somebody's ..................... skill ????

  6. #6curly2008-12-04 15:52

    Oh man! I can only imagine the stress on the pivot bearings and drive system.

  7. #7jmanfitter2008-12-05 02:01

    lmao

  8. #8wilddanz712008-12-05 06:46

    Why????

  9. #9greywynd2008-12-05 07:20

    Looks like a battlefield rental sticker on the loader arm.....

  10. #10Haul-Pak2008-12-05 08:01

    Ha Ha Ha Glad it's not a JCB or the hate would be in full swing. The machine would last alot longer doing this for a living than actually digging rock.

  11. #11digger242j2008-12-05 09:02

    Somebody else pointed this video out to me, and while I think it looks impressive, it's really more of a demonstration of a machine that is very smooth in going from forward to reverse, and back, than it is of any extraordinary operator skill. Is that one hydrostatic? (Although, I will say that one must be very disciplined to not make any steering input while it's standing on it's nose, as that would probably result in it falling over sideways, in a heartbeat.) Thoughts?

  12. #12OCR2008-12-05 09:18

    Thoughts? Sure looks like it could be. From a stand point of being some what familiar with hydrostatic drive, that is... OCR...

  13. #13Northart2008-12-05 13:18

    Skill ? Hello Digger242j, Well if you think it's that easy, then you try it sometime ! LOL Bet you can't do it. :drinkup I'm not inclined to try it. It's a peculiar skill that's for sure, like that excavator operator climbing a tower. Not every operator here on the BB can duplicate that as an ordinary skill. That certainly is an extraordinary display of skill, in my book. And the use of equipment beyond it's normal operating parameters, is also a demonstration of the qualities of the equipment as you pointed out. Kinda like an airshow, except this is an equipment show. :usa

  14. #14digger242j2008-12-05 13:42

    Well, I know darn well I couldn't do it with any piece of equipment I've ever run. I have almost zero time on wheel loaders, but lots of time on rubber tired backhoes. I'm no virgin to sticking the hoe out back far enough to pick the front wheels off the gound. The thing is, there's such a lag time in shifting from F to R and back that there's no way the operator would have precise enough control to even attempt what's in the video. Certainly I wouldn't be able to do that on my first attempt, but on a hydrostatic loader, with some practice, I'm not sure it would be all that difficult to master. But, you may well be correct. :beatsme (I was loading trucks yesterday from on top of a bank, with a fairly large bucket on an excavator. With that video in mind, I was tempted to see how hard it would be grab a great big bucketful, stretch out, tip the machine up on the front idlers, and balance it there using just the weight of the load, but I don't own the machine, so I resisted that temptation.)

  15. #15Northart2008-12-05 17:53

    Skill ? Hello Digger 242j, I don't think the transmission has anything to do with the stunt. To me, it is pure operator skill, learned. Surely a particular skill most operators do not, or ever have even thought of. Certainly not an everyday skill. The analogy that I think of, is Motorcycles, where they do the wheelies, on rear and then on front tires. Different bikes, different people, but , something most people do not do . It's people pushing the envelope of operating parameters. I see it all the time in construction, uniquely talented people. They perform outstanding feats in construction with a particular machine. Dozer hands cutting perfect grade for ditches, slopes, sidewalks , streets,floor grade, without none of this electronic aids. Loader hands building dikes, to perfection. Doing cleanup on W&S jobs , making it immaculate. Hydraulic squirt boom crane hands, getting into the most outlandish difficult places to make a pick. Excavator operators digging trench for fiber optics, going through a maze of underground obstructions without one nicked or damaged utility. Anyway, it's the skill levels demonstrated. It something that caught my eye. :usa

  16. #16digger242j2008-12-05 18:30

    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point then. On rubber tired machines I've operated, mainly backhoes with a shuttlle running a four speed gearbox, one could not go from forward to reverse smoothly, and immediately , without a noticeable jerk. On purely hydrostatic machines I've run, mainly excavators, skid steers, and one 943 CAT track loader, it can be done smoothly. You make my point for me. Certainly, there are plenty of hacks employed in the industry, but at the same time, there are thousands of talented operators at work every day, doing exactly what you describe. Given the opportunity I don't doubt that many of them could duplicate what's shown here. You mentioned airshows in your earlier reply. To name just a couple of examples who I've found to be phenominasl, Sean Tucker, or the legendary Bob Hoover, I bet there are only a few dozen pilots at any one time that can perform at that level of expertise, while there are literally thousands who can perform basic aerobatics. I just think this performance is closer to basic aerobatics than it is to anything phenominal. :beatsme

  17. #17Buckethead2008-12-06 14:06

    Funny! I really got a kick out of the video, I thought it was hysterical!

  18. #18Sparffo2008-12-06 14:30

    These guys are building a SuperCross track (like Motocross but with more extreme jumps)! so maybe this guy is training for some halftime stunt show? usually they have guys doing bobcat tricks in the half time, but maybe the dancing skid streers are a little bit out by now

  19. #19Northart2008-12-06 15:43

    Skill ? Hello Digger242j, The skill level is unique. How many other operators are even interested in trying such a stunt ?? As to words describing it, as phenominal or or extraordinary , like you say, is wrong, I prefer unique. As to the extraordinary talented operators, I am referring to the top 2% or cream of the crop. Some are specialists in their field like Doctors, Lawyers. Then some are extraordinary, when they can run any piece of equipment with extremely, great skill. Friction cranes, excavators,dozers,graders. Multi skilled in several pieces. Cross trained. In the old days this was possible, when equipment was less complex. But today, with computer controlled equipment , costing millions of $, it's not possible to cross train, the bulk of the industry, to become extremely proficient. Therefore, operators are becoming more or less specialized by default. Dirt guys stick to dirt, crane guys stick to crane work. And those catagories are further dubdivided. For instance, Crane operators doing lightering work, transferring cargo from ships to barges , to beaches, are not into hanging steel and heavy machinery placment. Finish dozer ,grader hands are usually not running scrapers. Anyway, thats the idea. Anyway, back to the video, the loader is a Cat 928G with a Powershift transmission. :usa

  20. #20Haul-Pak2008-12-06 16:46

    I Agree with you Northart in a way, My old man is a good old Boy. Could run anything, Dragline's, Shovel's, Loader's and Underground equipment like longwall machine's and DeedHeeder's as he call's them. (Funny though he cannot drive a Car very well) It's all practice, thats all it is, Most of the Old Hand OPS at this mine can run 4100's, RT's Grader's, Drill's etc .... I call them Sparrow's Hop on anything!

  21. #21AtlasRob2008-12-06 17:30

    Taking in to account both Northart & Diggers comments,.........................I wonder what he would be like at loading trucks A unique skill in my opinion,..................... and making it dance

  22. #22digger242j2008-12-06 20:40

    I'm not saying it's not a unique skill, just that it's a unique skill that could be mastered by many of the better operators. I just don't think it demonstrates that that particular operator is uniquely talented. (If that makes any better sense.)

  23. #23Northart2008-12-06 21:51

    Talent ? Skill? Okay, I flogged this argument enough. LOL Digger, your a good lawyer ! LOL :salute:usa I was hoping Deas Plant would have something to say . Great to hear the other comments .

  24. #24Squizzy246B2008-12-06 23:02

    Northart; Its really not that hard to do although that guy has obviously worked on it. You start with a bucket full of Iron Ore...and too much time on your hands between rail trucks...then...welll...course I only ever heard about it from other guys of course

  25. #25Squizzy246B2008-12-06 23:17

    I might also add that such irresponsible behaviour with a working machine is neither good for the machine nor your working conditions. Someone may find his butt kicked out of a shiny new air-conditioned 988 and back into a 980B with nada air-con if caught by the pit boss doing irresponsible machine operations....Of course, like i said, I only ever heard about things like that from some other guys Do you know that at Panawonica it can get over 120F in the cab of a 980B? ointhead

  26. #26Bellboy2008-12-18 06:53

    Ouch, but it does a good job of being a ballerina!! Pity there was no music though.

  27. #27Bellboy2008-12-18 07:20

    It can get up to around 40 degreesC in the sun here, so the cab of a 980B might get up to 46 or more like 50. Ballet is meant for pretty girls in tutus, pointe shoes, and Swanlake, not Cat rental machines.

  28. #28zhkent2008-12-18 21:49

    So iron ore works good for weight, I wonder what that guy had in his bucket? It was heavy what ever it was. Way heavier than dirt.

  29. #29Copenhagen2008-12-19 18:28

    I have done it before. Its not very hard at all. All you have to do is jump in a loader when you are 17 and know everything already, come down a pretty good grade with your bucket full and WAY too high in the air and slam on the brakes when you realize you are going way too fast and might slam into the dump truck waiting for you at the bottom. Thats how I accomplished this feat anyway. I stood that John Deere right on its nose. My boss at the time was a pretty understanding guy and the worst I got from him was, " Thats probably the slowest way to load truck imaginable." and " "Make sure the seat is scrubbed before you go home."

  30. #30AtlasRob2008-12-20 16:41

    He knew you had learnt a very valuable lesson. His experience told him you had learnt a lot more in those few seconds than any amount of his screaming a cussing at you would have achieved. I bet your respect for him and his machines went up a peg that day.

  31. #31Northart2008-12-22 22:35

    Another effort Here's another effort .

  32. #32RocksnRoses2008-12-23 19:52

    He wouldn't want a front tyre to blow! Rn'R.

  33. #33feroracing2009-01-17 11:07

    Here is one from Hungary, what are you mean? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53TO0gs25AI