Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dangerous Penske driver

Welder Dave · 2025-02-06 01:39

Don't know what I hit but had to add a poll in order to post. Was watching Highway Thru Hell today. A semi trailer burnt to the ground. A mini-ex was brought to push the walls over and clean up the mess. The tow truck hooked up to the trailer and was pulling it away obviously going slower with lots of flashing lights. The driver could see another truck approaching pretty fast. The truck was apparently wanting to pass but couldn't because there was a vehicle in the other lane. He rear ended the burnt trailer so hard the landing gear got pushed into his axle lift. The tow truck driver was 62 and pretty shaken up but OK. He hit his head on the steering wheel. Of course they didn't show the name but the yellow truck with stripes was unmistakably a Penske truck. Does Penske generally have good drivers or just hire anyone who managed to get a class 1 license? Pretty scary!

Replies19
  1. #1FWD2025-02-06 11:38

    I thought Penske rents trucks? I didn't know of them as a trucking company, I could be wrong though. FWD

  2. #2bccat2025-02-06 13:23

    Just watched a video on YouTube about a trucker in Ontario that hit a fire truck on the shoulder at an accident, nearly hitting a fireman, damaging the fire truck,left a trailer tire behind & kept going. OPP Found him the next day with damage to his truck & trailer, with one trailer tire missing, he had switched the missing tire rim to the inside with the good tire and rim to the outside. There was red & yellow paint on the truck & trailer, the driver was from an eastern overseas country , OPP gave him a ticket, he got in his truck and took off. I‘ll going to learn how to post youtube videos on here.

  3. #3Joe H2025-02-06 13:45

    Post the URl of the youtube, you don't post the actual video. Breaking News - Video - Transport Driver Facing Numerous HTA Charges After Hitting Firetruck - Today's Northumberland - Your Source For What's Happening Locally and Beyond Northumberland OPP have charged a Scarborough transport driver with numerous offences relating to a fail to remain collision involving a firetruck. Th todaysnorthumberland.ca Joe H

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-02-06 15:57

    I started driving trucks before I had a car license. I used to travel with a few guys that were drivers. I asked questions, and took everything that was said seriously. One Sunday, I had the window down, the tunes cranked( probably Rush). I was 18 years old and I thought I was unstopable. I came over a little hill, and all the traffic was stopped. I was going around 140Kph, or 86 mph. I would have been running close to 50,000KGs or 110,000 pounds. I had to go up the shoulder, at least 7 car lengths. I was lucky it was a highway with wide shoulders, and that no one was on the shoulder. Lets just say I was a bit lighter on the hammer after that.

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-02-06 18:59

    I don't know if Penske only rents trucks or does trucking too? If they only rent could certainly explain a dangerous driver behind the wheel.

  6. #6colson042025-02-06 19:07

    This happened in December 2024 in Kalamazoo, MI. I live about 30 minutes from where this happened.

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-02-06 19:16

    That's almost unbelievable except it actually happened. Wonder if the guy was either sleeping or on his phone? Switching the wheels was pretty brazn'. What the hell was he thinking. I can't believe they let him just drive away. Should have been thrown in jail and lost his license.

  8. #8skyking12025-02-06 20:15

    I posted about a driver a while back that narrowly avoided getting me into a multi-car semi truck crash. I truly think that the phones are the problem. I've got high mount brake lights. I've got low mount brake lights on the dump truck. I was tapping my brakes trying to get his attention that the traffic was stopped. There was a car between me and him and he dodged onto the shoulder at the last possible second and slid by me. If not for that, he would have killed those people in the car. My dump truck is not exactly a soft spot.

  9. #9CM19952025-02-06 20:36

    A friend of mine lost his stepdaughter to just the same situation. I-85 out of Auburn where the traffic was stopped, she was behind a box van tractor trailer and the truck behind her didn't stop or swerve. Tragic.

  10. #10bccat2025-02-06 23:56

    Thank Joe H

  11. #11DMiller2025-02-10 05:25

    See the morons nearly every day, impossible to miss trucks, police, state equipment and other machines along shoulders, in a lane with flashing lights and no slowing, no braking, run thru like grain thru a goose or panic slow just prior to irrational lane swaps. Not just lease trucks, every manner of trucks, cars, and YES phones or ofher electronics are evident.

  12. #12CM19952025-02-10 09:37

    There is a mulch color manufacturer/distributor with 2 large warehouses near our equipment yard. They must take the cheapest freight quotes for flatbeds because there are some of the dumbest drivers in some of the crappiest trucks on the road. I mean bad.

  13. #13Truck Shop2025-02-10 10:00

    Penske has 10,000 plus drivers of various weight classes. Penske owns roughly 440,000 vehicles.

  14. #14Welder Dave2025-02-10 13:44

    I read about 450,000 and that just boggles the mind.

  15. #15Truck Shop2025-02-10 17:55

    Not anything to do with Penske drivers, but few knew what took place with Penske/Kmart in 2002. Goodyear said in wouldn't hurt but it did. * https://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20130920/NEWS/130929999/2002-a-look-into-the-past-penske-shuts-down-562-auto-centers

  16. #16DMiller2025-02-10 19:55

    Was around that same time Penske bought up an ex employer, immediately shut down the newly purchased shops where a Penske operation existed no matter if could or could not service the lease clients.

  17. #17Welder Dave2025-02-10 21:42

    What was Goodyear smoking? They had to have lost a lot of tire business. What is the general consensus of Penske and do they really care about their employee's?

  18. #18Truck Shop2025-02-10 21:52

    Penske---Penske is the largest hiring pool as a {independent} for fresh out of votech school grads, and one of the largest driver pools next to Walmart and dry freight companies. I think for the most part Penske probably treats employees ok---where else does one turn fresh out of school, not many choices and it's a leg up that includes some dealer training too.

  19. #19Welder Dave2025-02-10 22:00

    That's good to know. Getting hired could be a long term career with ongoing training.