Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Darth Vader Grader

Hopuser ยท 2009-11-11 07:44

Wel here is our underground grader for your viewing pleasure...

Replies36
  1. #1Clawed Backster2009-11-11 08:16

    Does "Mini Me" run it?

  2. #2Grader4me2009-11-11 09:49

    Wow! Neat looking rig. Whats it like for headroom and visibility? Are you the operator?

  3. #3heavylift2009-11-11 09:55

    that dinky cab make the blade look huge

  4. #4digger242j2009-11-11 11:19

    I guess that makes the "standing or sitting" question a moot point...

  5. #5bluntman410g2009-11-11 11:40

    :drinkupthats a sweet grader

  6. #6bill onthehill2009-11-11 18:11

    Must have a dang short operator! I would be banging my head in that thing.

  7. #7catd8t2009-11-11 18:24

    sweet i want it. ill running it on road jobs just for the looks.

  8. #8AmerIndependent2009-11-11 18:50

    Wow, i've never seen anything like that! I would think it was a custom mod but it looks too good for that. Can we get some more pictures of the cab?... I'm so confused haha. catd8t, you'd look like such a pimp cruising past normal graders on it. But you better tint the windows so they don't see your knees up by your head.

  9. #9catd8t2009-11-11 19:11

    id be on the cb all day going (COME TO THE DARK SIDE)

  10. #10gary8082009-11-11 21:02

    what kind of cutting blades is that?

  11. #11powerjoke2009-11-11 22:13

    what are the chambers that look like accumulators up on the boom above the blade? Gary, it is just a serated edge i think its good for hard stuff but never used one. Pj

  12. #12Hopuser2009-11-11 22:15

    Well I am 6 feet tall and have lots of head room.

  13. #13Hopuser2009-11-11 22:26

    The edges are carbide bits from Cat they come in a few sizes(We run a inch and a half and three inch stagered for winter and shaping the road. They are really tough and really carve, We also have a set we mounted on the ripper mount to groom and work a hard area. We run conventional edges well their called black Cats They are extra thick and last.

  14. #14Hopuser2009-11-12 07:38

    You have lots of room and your knees are not up by your ears, you are streached out and relaxed will send pics of the cab, it runs a Mercedes motor for emmisions,

  15. #15JDMGrading2009-11-12 11:42

    whoaa...the small cab wasnt all that big of a deal, then you said mercedes motor???? pics please.

  16. #16Super Roel2009-11-12 13:39

    I have some more pics of low profile graders , two are based of a Cat 120 a Crothers (Cat) one Wright (Cat) one Bell (John-Deere) one Veekmas and one MBU(Bomag) , do u now more of these graders .

  17. #17Grader4me2009-11-12 14:20

    How in the heck would you be able to see where you were going with the John Deere??

  18. #18RonG2009-11-12 15:37

    Like taxiing with a taildragger )Ron G

  19. #19CAT D9H2009-11-12 18:01

    Hopuser, thats a cool looking machine I would love to see more pics

  20. #20alco2009-11-12 18:53

    I love underground equipment. What mine are you at Hopuser?

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2009-11-12 19:00

    Looks like quite a machine there.

  22. #22Hopuser2009-11-14 07:18

    I am at Greens Creek Mine in Alaska I will send more pics after it comes back we sent it off for some retrofit work at CAT, yeah it a custom machine and we use the Mercedes because it meets emmisions for deisel particulate, Our 14H is out for Star rebuild and will post pic when it gets back it has a few custom items also. Kris

  23. #23Komatsu 1502009-11-14 08:49

    We put some on a subcontractors grader to clear ice from a parking lot when it was too cold for salt to work. It worked but the asphalt was not happy.

  24. #24Grader4me2009-11-14 11:07

    :yup.... makes nice little grooves in asphalt...

  25. #2506bowtie_guy2009-11-14 11:50

    We run a couple 120's with no cab and have a cabbed 120 comming. Interesting setup for sure!

  26. #26ScottAR2009-11-14 14:27

    The state highway dept. uses a grader with a scalloped blade as sort of "poor man's" asphalt milling machine to shave off bumps in the pavement. Looks a little strange but it's effective.

  27. #27Grader4me2009-11-14 18:53

    Hi ScottAR...Could you explain this a little more? I'm thinking of a "scalloped blade" as being the moldboard blade scalloped out in the center. Just wondering how that would work shaving off bumps..

  28. #28JDOFMEMI2009-11-14 22:34

    I think he is talking about a serrated tooth edge

  29. #29Grader4me2009-11-15 05:34

    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after I posted. Curious to what type they use...The regular serrated blades wouldn't be much better than a regular blade for that type of work, but the carbide bits would peel down the humps.

  30. #30ScottAR2009-11-15 15:07

    Serrated... That's the word... Sorry guys... Looks just like the blade in the first pics. They make 4-6 passes shifting the blade a little each time. We're talking a short run, maybe 8-10 feet. The main highway in town was first paved in concrete way back when and has been widened with asphalt. Every spring the slabs move a little and little bumps and creases form. They shave 'em off.

  31. #31Grader4me2009-11-15 17:23

    That's different! I can see where that would work well. Also, I'm the one that should apologise for putting you on the spot. At first I thought they must have something different rigged up that I wasn't familiar with. I realized what you meant after the light came on in this old head..lol

  32. #32ScottAR2009-11-15 18:13

    All is well... I probably won't much of this done locally this year as they milled the road and topped it again this summer. Heard lots of complaining about the traffic and lane closing but oddly no one complains about the now smooth road... Ain't it so...

  33. #33Danial Doherty2009-11-15 20:17

    looking at these makes my neck hurt lol too small of a space for a big man like myself to get into

  34. #34Motor Grader2009-11-16 12:06

    What is the height from the ground to the tallest point?

  35. #35Motor Grader2009-11-16 12:13

    Champion Low Profile in Process Here is a couple shots of a new model grader Champion is building exclusively for the mining industry. We have been building modified versions of our standard graders for the mines but this one is a bit more complicated. What you are looking at is a drop section in the rear frame that lowers the entire cab 12". There are other changes that lower the overall running height even more. Ground clearence wouldn't be acceptable for normal everyday use but in the mine its not that big of a deal. We were able to keep the blade ground clearence the same so that is working to our advantage. The tires are just a dummy axle for moving out of the paint booth. Will try and post more pics as the build comes along. Maybe I will start a new thread. Enjoy. Oh yea, most important part....the overall height will be 85". We actually built 2 graders back in 1990 and 1991 that were 70" tall.

  36. #36Graderfan19812014-07-29 08:06

    Here is a collection from lots of links to manfacturers from underground graders: http://forum.bauforum24.biz/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=175&t=62393 There are so many Has someone more photos from different underground graders? They looks very interesting