Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dash lights

Old Doug ยท 2014-05-09 19:56

The KW that i have been working on has dash light problems. After it has been runing for less than 2 hours they go out. I have replaced the switch. I thought it had a short some were because every time i looked at it they started working. But now i think its becauce ether its cooling off or reseting when the key is shut off because when it gets back to the shop its the first time it shut off so i told the driver when they go off to shut it off and see what happens. I have allso read about a Cecu/Icu that the dash lights are controled by. Has any one had problems like this?

Replies10
  1. #1Mike L2014-05-10 08:27

    does the truck have fuses or breakers?

  2. #2525isx2014-05-10 14:58

    how new of a truck ? the cecu controls alot of stuff,including dash lights 525

  3. #3Old Doug2014-05-10 18:31

    It is a 2010 and it has fuses. I guess all the switch are ground.

  4. #4525isx2014-05-10 20:41

    you may be able to reset the cecu by disconnecting batteries. the cecu controls dash lights among many other things. you really need paccar esa to trouble shoot. I can email the text overview of what the cecu controls, if you want. 525

  5. #5Old Doug2014-05-11 11:31

    Thanks for every ones help. It sounds like if reseting it doesnt help it will have to go some were to be look at. Will this lead to more problems if its not fixed?

  6. #6525isx2014-05-11 13:38

    well if something is wrong with the cecu, it can effect most of the electronic gauges, which would include air pressure & low air buzzer, to name a few. 525

  7. #7Old Doug2014-05-11 13:59

    I dont care for things that are as hightec as this trucks wireing but its amazing that the 4 gauges on the left of the dash has only 4 wires. It looks like you would need a wire for each gauge a wire for the lights and maybe a hot wire to power every thing.I dont have as much respect for KWs as i did before i saw the wireing in this one. Maybe there all like this.If i was buying a newer truck if i could the air presser gauges wouldnt be electric.

  8. #8525isx2014-05-11 16:25

    since about 2008 the pete's & kw's have been this way. the gauges are multiplexed -- which means one wire carries more than one signal -- this sort of stuff cuts down on wires, but brings electronic control modules into play. no point in wishing for the old ways and times, as much as we liked them, they are history. just out of curiosity how old are you ? I'm closing in on 51, and technology has changed alot on trucks since I started out !! 525

  9. #9Old Doug2014-05-11 19:18

    I am 49. I drove and worked on several trucks that the only wireing needed to make it run was the starter system you used a cable to kill it. My dad sold trucks as far back as i can remember and i worked on them as much as i could. In 88 the shop that i worked at closed and i had also been working alot at night and was burnt out so i found something else to do. Now i work part time for a place that has 10 trucks. They are 60 miles from any thing so its handy and cheaper for them to have me do somethings.

  10. #10Old Doug2014-07-06 09:58

    Update the lights have been working until last week. They quit working so when the driver stoped he shut off the truck and they came back on. I told him we would remove the battery cable if it happened agin. I cant belive the worked this long then quit.