Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deadbeat mechanic won’t finish job, what to do?

tnc110 ยท 2016-04-06 07:47

October 2014 I took my 963 loader to a guy that works on trucks and equipment on the side. He works full time at a local Freightliner shop. Loader was making a weird racquet after loosing a lot of oil. Mechanic quoted me 3500-4500 to rebuild motor. He said he had a weeks worth of work infront of my loader and would start the loader when finished. A month or so goes by and and he says he is going to have to pull the motor. Another month or so goes by and I call for an update. He says hes been working on it...doesnt give any details about what he has done. Months go by and its the same story "I'm working on it" Finally he tells me he is going to need a new crank and is trying to find one. A month later I called, he can't find a crank. I make one phone call, and have a crank...deliver it to his shop. This was last summer. Month goes by nothing. Then he tells me its going to need a ring gear and starter drive. I have them shipped to him. Months go by with nothing from him. Then I can't get him to return my calls. Finally I call a mutual friend and tell him what is going on. Mutual friend gets a hold of him and mechanic tells him motor is done and ready to drop in. This was about 2 months ago. I called and text him 3 times in the last 2 weeks...nothing. What should I do?

Replies6
  1. #1hetkind2016-04-06 09:36

    I would go visit and see what the issues are. Once you are there in person, he will probably shape up. I don't know a single mechanic who is up to date on "side jobs" or "fill in work" or "hobby projects" Oh yea, let me put my bread and butter jobs aside so I can go weld patch panels into the 62 Town Wagon, and pull the transmission on the 83 R80ST for a spline lube and find out why the speedogear was installed backwards on the 68 D100 Utiline... Best of luck. Howard

  2. #2kshansen2016-04-06 10:35

    Can't offer any help but this is one of the reasons I almost never took side jobs despite being asked several times a year. So often on a job you don't know what you will find till it's apart then you are stuck. Sounds to me this guy may have had good intentions but just got buried with taking on too much work. I would go talk to him and see what he says in person. Maybe he just needs a hand getting it back in the frame and you could offer to help.

  3. #3check2016-04-06 13:14

    Some people are completely devoid of any sense of urgency. They can't grasp that time is money, unless it's their own time. Others are unable to self-motivate in the self-employed mode. They show up on time at their regular job, but can't seem to motivate when the threat of getting fired is not there. Unfortunately, lots of self employed people are cursed that way. One way I have attempted to prevent delays is to suggest the last 10% of their bid is a completion bonus for finishing by a certain date. This usually results in them not taking the job.

  4. #4Delmer2016-04-06 13:59

    Exactly what they said, don't we know it, from both sides of the coin Unfortunately your best result is going to come from forgetting the past, get in your happiest place, and go over there as the calmest/friendliest guy you can fake. Maybe go on a Saturday morning prepared to help/watch until it's done like kshansen said. That would drive some people crazy, but I know a machinist that seems to ONLY work that way. Most likely he's embarrassed/frustrated/tired of the project and process, putting a deadline or threats out there isn't going to improve the quality of his work. Unless you really need it, then you could try to repossess it, but it would suck to get the machine and engine, but miss some little part.

  5. #5CaptainAnalyzer2016-04-07 14:28

    Thank you for making my afternoon! Lol. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6Tarhe Driver2016-04-23 18:14

    Okay, I'm a commercial real-estate appraiser by trade, but truly love the honesty and caring shown in these HEF forums, and read them daily. The above reminded me of the time when I was a part-time GI with chips on my shoulder, what I was told 30 years ago by my civilian boss, just after he had put $1 million in his bank account, the result of an honest real estate investment: he said, "I've kissed *** so long that I thoroughly enjoy doing it." Never fear, he is a man's man, for a' that, but he knew when being nice to people at first often gained a far better share of the pie than first being brusque brought. I've tried, not always successfuly, to since live by that. Being nice first can often be the key. And yes, being an advocate for yourself is the very hardest of all. Hope it has, or will, work out well. Neill