I sell my non ferrous metals to a place that is one of the bigger places around. They are about 2 hours away from me. When i take a load its not half a pickup load its all i can haul on a 14 foot truck or 18 foot trailer. I have never had a problem with them or tryed to deal on there prices to get more money i take what they give most times its more than what they have posted. Heres the problem they wount answer the phone when i want to ask about some thing. I thing i have tryed to talk to them 3 times this year and i got to talk to them once. I am going to haul a load Monday to them i guess i can find out what i need to know then. I know its a pain to answer a bunch of phone calls but how can you stay in business operating like this?
Get a card for a salesman and deal with that guy. The people at the counter get fed up dealing with the public. Most of the scrap yards by us and every other company are dealing with labor shortages. They probably can't fill needdd positions aswell. How long has this been going on?
I dont think they have had a labor shortage. While i was talking to some one they called as soon as i could i called them but they didnt answer. I cant remember how long this has gone on but its been hit and miss for several years. I am going to take a load there next week and ask them what i need to know then stop at another place to find out how the prices compare.
Same experience here. The counter folks who answer the phone get tired of dealing with the ass hats that call in. I found that usually the workers at the scale/yard are much more friendly. I've heard a few conversations from customers and they really give the receptionist a hard time. I found a good recycling center. I go there hands down everytime. I found others to be cumbersome, not reliable, and sometimes shady.
Well, they haven’t answered your phone calls and you still keep coming, so why bother?
I never leave voicemail, I like to keep calling until somebody answers!
I dont like they way they do stuff but they are 20 cents higher a pound on the pipe i have. The next load i haul that will be over $600.00 more. When i was standing at the pay window a guy told me they paid him about $50.00 more a ton on some scrap iron than the place closer to his house offered. Then he ask dosent the government regulate scrap prices?
At least they make it worth your while to not answer your calls.
Its probably time to find another place to sell your metal scraps... You don't have to put up with that type management.
My experience with the 2 scrap dealers is they all can be "independent". Don't like me, go someplace else, no sense of humor or even business like. I hauled a semi load of rail into the local place for the local tourist RR. I'd never been there before. Weigh in weigh out, no big deal. No instructions of any sort on the speaker system at the scale. Now the scale is set up for semi's but i have to get out to use the buttons. Lady scale operator acts like i should know what to do. Just barking at me. I need to buzz her again. Ah, where do you want this load? The cars and pickups make a right turn just off the scale, head back to the gate and dump their little pieces on the correct pile on the way out. I'm not doing that with 25 pieces of 1000 lb rails. "Follow the green truck going ahead of you until he turns left, you turn right and go until you can't go anymore. OK This a big yard, real neat to get inside. Fortunately the scrap handler operator was a cool guy, told me right where he wanted me and picked those rails off like he was using his fingers. I had a short piece that ended up on my deck. I went to roll it off, he waved me of with a big grin and picked it off just as slick. Go across the scale to get out. Lots of room for the cars and pickups with trailers. Ah, where am I supposed to go? Parking in the driveway i guess. I had to go inside to get a check made out to the railroad. In their defense, almost all the semi's are either their own or their subcontractors with tare weight "on file". I'm a newbie so I have questions, no patience for questions So I scrap a car at the other yard in my area. Again no instructions, nothing on the website. I've never scrapped a car before. Office lady was real easy on the eyes, but the "boss" is standing behind her (Bullet proof glass ) giving me the eyeball with a pistol strapped on his hip. The whole office was creepy.
Every place i ever sold to had some deal. The other place when you call them they tell you a price then if you have a big load and its not a mess they will give you more. The place i sell cars was owned buy one guy and run by another. They split up and the guy running it wanted to sell us the cars he saved to part out but wanted money down before we started. I felt funny about this deal and told my brother i wanted to talk to the owner of the yard before we handed over any money. We went and talked to him he was thrilled that we were going to scrap the cars and said he would buy them from us. So we stripped them loaded 1 at a time drove across the scales 50 feet away unload repeated the process over and over and over. ||||||||}}}}}}}}}}}
I hauled 2 loads they paid more than they quoted me.I was a little over on the lenght but it was no problem. Now for some bad news the place i sell cars to thats close buy the owner is in the hospital he has the virus. They are closed down now. I have heard that the price is going to drop because of the virus.