Ok everyone i'm a new member of the forums, but have read on them quite a few times and you guys seem pretty informative and helpful. I am a senior in high school and I'm thinking about going into the heavy equipment industry. I would want to travel for a five or so years and either then find something local or open up my own business. I was wondering if the getting a job for a traveling crew is hard or not? I was also wasn't sure if I should go to my local college for heavy equipment school or if you can't start out just apprenticing without school? I really want to get into the industry, just don't want to try and then be jobless... Thanks for any comments or advice in advance. If you think of something besides my questions that could be helpful that'd be alright too.
I've been traveling for the past 4 years, and let me tell you its not fun. I've lived in 6 different places in 4 years in 5 states. It's hard on relationships, friends, and family. Also expensive unless your company is willing to pay your expenses. That being said it is very difficult getting on with a company and traveling with them unless your highly skilled in your trade. The number one reason in the northern states is because of unions. Its absoultly ridiculous what the unions make you do if a company wants to bring in key people and usually they don't let you bring but a few. Another thing is with big companies that have work all over the country you are usually just a number to them unless you try just working for a superintendent that travels and brings you with him. If your from Iowa why not try talking to McAninch or Moyna?
Down this way it is easiest to find work with a big company if you are willing to travel. There were a few markets that were big enough to support big companies when the economy was good, but now any large companies in this region have had to travel further and further to find work. They are generally interested in hiring help who is willing to move with the jobs. Being in an area with a strong union presence would be a whole different ball game I would imagine. The important thing to realize IMO is that nobody serious is going to hire an "operator" strait out of high school. In this industry high school age is considered a baby, as such if you want to gain entry I would expect to hop hubs, shoot grade, shovel anything, lay pipe, and then get in a haul truck or scraper before you get too serious into operating.
One of the biggest reasons for construction unions other than better wages and working conditions is the workers want to work in their local area, not stand idly by and watch some men from elsewhere doing the local jobs or have to travel and live away from home to work themselves. (Sometimes travel is unavoidable when work is slow locally) The idea is the contractor can bid and do projects any place he can get work but would hire the workers locally wherever the project is located. This is so the workers get to go home at night, and on weekends, spend time with their families, have a life etc.
I know how unions work, but when they tell you that you cant bring in a skilled operator because either their family, friend, or in law needs a job because he has been run off of every other project for local companies isnt fair to the company hand. Skilled union operator is getting harder and harder to come by these days.