Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deerapillar

Chrisso ยท 2022-03-23 21:10

Not exactly old iron (1987) but thought this was interesting enough to share. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...action-Single_Drum_Roller_Compactor-Minnesota Seems everything about this Cat CS-433 is John Deere. All parts clearly list in the online Cat service manual, complete with assigned Cat p/n's... I'm well aware of Cat's affiliations and ownerships with other brands ie Perkins, MEH and hundreds more, but I thought Cat and Deere are long standing arch rivals. If this was some kind of market sharing deal between Cat and Deere, were any Cat machines disguised as John Deere's back in the day?

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2022-03-23 22:23

    I'll throw another curve ball in here. That "Cat" compactor is actually an iteration of a Raygo 500 ........ Cat bought Raygo in the early 1980s IIRC. Could be that Raygo were tied up with JD at the time Cat bought them.?

  2. #2Bumpsteer2022-03-23 22:52

    Would make sense for Raygo to hop in bed with Deere. They would gain access to Deere's parts and dealer network. Never be able to get that ammount of coverage on their own. It was also something I don't think Deere made. Ed

  3. #3Birken Vogt2022-03-23 23:03

    Didn't want to spend the time to re-engineer to fit a Cat engine at the time? Good enough to buy it from Deere? I wonder how that phone call went. Maybe they bought the company and a bunch of spare engines for units not yet built came with the deal.

  4. #4JPV2022-03-24 00:26

    Interesting, I would have never dreamed it. That would up the value in my opinion, those 4045's are great motors in my experience with them.

  5. #5Truck Shop2022-03-24 09:10

    Many Raygo rollers had Detroit power-3-53--3-71. And most operators had hearing issues.

  6. #6Chrisso2022-03-24 09:12

    That would explain everything. Turns out those p/n's apparently are Raygo p/n's that need to be converted using another document.

  7. #7Old Doug2022-03-24 10:38

    It would be great if they put a plate on it stating who built it and were you could get parts from.

  8. #8John C.2022-03-24 10:49

    Probably old stock when the sale went down. Dealer network got anything new pulled back out of their inventory if it was floor planned. Might have been a lot of engines in the pipe line when the sale hit and they decided to not change the factory line until stock was depleted. There are any number of things that could have happened. The good part of it is you now have multiple sources for engine parts.

  9. #9excavator2022-03-24 12:12

    If I remember correctly, that is exactly what happened.

  10. #10Bluox2022-03-24 12:34

    Yes they did and Cat sold some with 4-53s in them. Some of their Japan sourced pavers in the 90s had Deere motors in them. Bob

  11. #11Bluox2022-03-24 19:42

    They were 3-53s ,I was thinking 3 and fat fingered 4 . Bob

  12. #12Tyler d4c2022-03-24 19:53

    What did ya say.