Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 160CLC Fuel Problems

Seaside LPS ยท 2013-05-07 21:27

I have a 2004 Deere 160CLC about 6800 hours on it been having a problem with it which not sure if it is fuel related or not. I changed fuel filters in the fall and it didn't see much work this winter but started it and ran it for 30 min to get it warm every 2 weeks or so over the winter. Recently, after running it for a bit and it is warm if you idle down it it sputters and runs really rough and some black smoke comes out if you shut it off and wait a minute and start it up it just cranks won't fire back up but wait for it to cool down or like over night it will fire right back up and when cold will idle fine. Any ideas where to start? I have ordered new fuel filters to replace and start there just in case there is algae or something else. I did put the diesel anti gel in it this winter but could it be the injectors or something else? Just want to exhaust every possibilty before taking it into the dealer.

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2013-05-07 22:22

    Starting at the water separator filter, my number one road call, after someone else services the fuel filters , is the omission of the O-ring on top of the separator bowl. Like this http://fmsfilters.com/files/24924.gif Typically, the omission of that O-ring will result in loss of fuel prime, leaving a no start condition, until the system is reprimed. I would assume, but I'll ask anyways. Have you drained the sediment/ water off the bottom valve drain on the fuel tank? Another common mistake is to transpose the two standyne type fuel filters. The RE62419 (5micron) filter is the final filter, and is installed closest to the injection pump, after the lift pump. The RE509036 (30micron) is the separator filter, and is closest to the fuel tank, before the lift pump. Transposing the two filters will result in the 5micron filter taking ALL of the fuel contaminants, and plugging early.

  2. #2Delmer2013-05-07 22:35

    Sounds funny to me. What does it do under load??? or at high idle? Could it be a solenoid or some other electrical fuel component going bad? wild guess ed: or could it not have anything to do with the fuel? hydraulic pump control issue? how does it act when sputtering and operating different functions? Run it like a rental. Warming up for 30 minutes is worse than letting it sit in my book.

  3. #3heymccall2013-05-07 22:43

    Looks as if it has a standyne rotary injection pump. They can fail, but, none of my stanadyne rotaries fail in that fashion. Could the air inlet be plugged from rodents and such?

  4. #4Seaside LPS2013-05-08 06:32

    The water seperator filter I have doesn't have a seperate piece at the bottom like you showed it is all one piece together. I have not drained off the sediment/water from the fuel tank. What is the best way to go about this? Under load it is fine, no smoke no rough idle runs fine. I will look into the solenoid I think I saw in my search that a potnamater (sp?) could cause the idle to be rough and surge up and down. I went over the whole machine looking for rodents and such and haven't seen anything and even checked the air intake. To give you more info that I should have in the begining. I bought this used from a dealer in August of last year didn't have any problems in the fall. When I got it they were using off road fuel, where I live it is hard to come by unless you have an onsite fuel tank so I fill my transfer tank with on road diesel and have been using that in it. Guess I will start with an inspection of the fuel tank and replacement of the filters. Thanks

  5. #5Delmer2013-05-08 09:22

    Potentiometer? and where? Not familiar with this machine, but it sounds like a familiar engine/fuel system. The reason it sounded funny is diesel fuel issues are typically not enough fuel and either not starting or running out under heavy load. Black smoke and sputtering idle sounds funny for fuel.

  6. #6Treetop2013-05-08 11:55

    Long story on my 05 160 but if you can't find anything in the fuel system open the side panel behind the cab, remove the computer located on the wall on the left behind the cab, remove the bracket that holds the computer and clean the ground wire for the computer.

  7. #7Seaside LPS2013-05-08 22:05

    Thanks Treetop I will put that on my list of things to check