Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 200c vs. 225c zero tail….which would be all around better machine

Blu Ox ยท 2015-10-24 11:45

As we embark on our journey to drop $80k on an excavator our dealers have steered towards a couple machines that are similar in age, hours and overall condition. Both have thumbs and are optioned out as expected. I don't have much experience in the 225c zero tail machine. I do understand its about 4,000 pounds heavier vs. the 200c. What are the advantages and disadvantages of one machine over the other. Standing by with anticipation. Thank you to you all for your thoughts.

Replies3
  1. #1Tags2015-10-24 19:03

    I rented a 225 for two months a year ago and I loved it. It had a thumb and pin grabber coupler and was a tad tippy with a full bucket over the side, you just needed to be alert in that instance. It was very fast hydraulic wise and quite smooth as well. I'm pretty sure it 100% Hitachi built, it had an Isuzu motor and needed to be filled with fuel every day and a half, that was running it full throttle 8-10 hrs a day. I will say this though, as with any "zero swing" machine they do tend to try to cram 10 pounds of goodness into a 5 pound bag. I've learned this with my Kobelco 115sr, when a hydraulic line blows you may be in for quite an adventure when trying to replace it. Other things like the starter, belts, and filters can sometimes make you scratch your head as well....hope this helps and good luck!

  2. #2pf/l2015-10-24 20:37

    Out hitachi dealer was talking to us about one so I went and talked directly with the service manager as we new home from years gone by. His words echoed much of what I allready figured. They're tight. Filters are out in the open now but as mentioned everything else is very tight. If you have someone else wrenching on your stuff maybe it doesn't matter then but if you're in there yourself skinning knuckles and wishing your elbows were double jointed you might think differently.

  3. #3earthscratcher2015-10-24 23:30

    i have both a 225 and a 135 rts I do a lot of benching work and like the fact that you do not have to worry about the tail hitting everything in sight. both have lots of hours and the rear ends are not all smashed up.stay away from the deere powerplant, Isuzu is way nicer on fuel and seems to last. now for the best part I wrench on all my own stuff, when you get done wrenching on these tight packed units nothing will scare you,they will make you a better mechanic just have a full set of crows foot wrenches and set of short handled service wrenches, and a few pry bars,also learn to stand on your head! I put a 54 in bucket with ar plateing on the sides built up, for more dirt on the 225, kind of my truckloader it handles it no problem.