Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 200clc no throttle!

Eddie Strobel · 2021-09-02 17:54

Have an 03? 200clc with Deere engine and a rotary injection pump with two electrical connectors. Had minor fire damage last year between cab and boom that melted two pilot hoses. Fixed it and all was good. Went to use it this summer and the throttle wouldn't go above idle, wiring loom in said area had deteriorated from the heat. Pulled wiring from cab connector back under engine to access the damaged area that had lost insulation. Reinstalled repaired wiring and still no throttle. Upon more online research, I see pump controller behind seat has constant red flash. Right console totally works normal, even throttle a\a and a\i switch and lights. What doesn't work is when wiper is turned on, console alarm sounds! And of course throttle doesnt work. I do have a few store codes from readout by battery...spn 28 fmi 4, 91 4, 174 3, 1076 5 and it says throttle error when cycling through. I would love a detailed explanation of throttle relearn procedure and any other advice!

Replies33
  1. #1mg23612021-09-03 05:19

    Welcome to HEF Eddie ! Serial number? There is a serial number break so a serial will be needed for accurate information. That unit does not have a throttle relearn procedure. Clear those engine codes and run it to see what returns? To clear the codes on the DDU: Scroll through menu items until “ServCode” with Up and Down arrows appears on the display window. Push both Up and Down arrows to display code. Push and hold both Up and Down arrows for more then 8 seconds. Two rows of stars will appear on the display window, and the Yellow or Red indicator light will go out. Release the Up arrow (2) switch and continue to hold the Down arrow (1) until “Send DM3” appears, indicating the code has been cleared. If the problem has not been repaired, the diagnostic trouble code will reappear. Next enter the service mode on your monitor in the cab. To do that press and hold the set button then key on or start. After bulb check release the button. Then use the select button to scroll. When a number 0 is on the left side of the screen what is on the right side? If not a zero on the right side then any other numbers will scroll in one second intervals. Those would be machine codes. Post results. Then scroll until the number 8 is on the left side of the screen. That is your rpm dial voltage. What is the low idle voltage and the high idle voltage? Does the voltage change smoothly through the full range? Post results. Your wiper and alarm means that the wiper safety switch is open. Top right side of the front window if I recall is where the switch is located.

  2. #2Eddie Strobel2021-09-03 09:23

    Thank you so much, but still no solution. Sn ff200cx504908 I can not get service mode on cab display at all...maybe not applicable to my machine or I am doing it wrong? On second thought, it appears to be working but I only get 6 dash lines when attempting cab service mode. If I can proceed from here, I don't know how. I can read several items of data in battery box though. I have no service codes here, only the four stored codes I mentioned yesterday. I cleared these using your method and two came back28,4 and 91,4. I also have throttle error displayed in battery box while scrolling through the data. Window wiper was an easy fix, lol!

  3. #3Eddie Strobel2021-09-03 09:29

    And thank you for the welcome. Hate to muddy the water, and think this is totally unrelated, bit this machine has two other little issues for years now. Shutting machine off while it is at normal operating temperature causes it to appear overheating when you restart shortly thereafter. None of our other Deere 6.8 on the farm react this way... guessing it is a glitch or something. Also, it seems I have gone through a few oil pressure sensors, as it randomly displays low oil pressure, sensor is currently unhooked, as oil pressure appears fine last time I put a gauge on it. Here is cab display in service mode, cant proceed from here...

  4. #4mg23612021-09-04 06:16

    For this issue it is the temperature switch on the top rear end of your cylinder head. When you shut down and there is a hot soak the temp could be reached and when you key on then the alarm sounds. The temperature gauge works off the sender in the thermostat housing. The temperature light and alarm work off the one on the top rear of the head. If that switch shows an overheat condition it overrides the the thermostat switch and sends the gauge to full hot and sounds the alarm and illuminates the light. You have 2 choices, (1) disconnect the switch on top of the head, which will prevent the alarm from sounding and the gauge from pegging (the gauge will still work because of the thermostat sender) . Or you can try a new switch with a higher temperature rating (part # RE528600). No guarantee that in certain situations the switch may reach temp and sound the alarm. The dashes in the monitor tell me there is a communication issue between the monitor and the PVC. Check all fuses and wiring/connectors between the monitor and the PVC. I don't think however that would affect your throttle because the throttle dial sends a signal to the PVC which then tells the ECU what rom it wants. I'll have to research that some more. Also see below. As far as machine codes you could short the top 2 terminals together on the 4 pin connector (short them together and then key on) next to the fuse box and watch the blinking PVC light for a blink code. No answer for that. You did check physical oil pressure with a gauge I hope?

  5. #5Eddie Strobel2021-09-04 09:07

    That sounds good on the temp and oil pressure issue, yes I have put a gauge on it. I might be a bit lost on the PVC...I don't recall learning what/where that is. Is there any other fuse location besides behind seat by door window, and a few larger ones in battery box? The cab dash monitor does not seem to respond when pressing display/select with the dashes displayed, or maybe it just cycles back through the typical hours, trip 1, trip 2, etc. When not in service mode, the monitor seems to function normally, showing hours, trip, etc... I'll check again when I get to machine in a few minutes.

  6. #6Eddie Strobel2021-09-04 18:49

    Ok, when entering service mode in the cab, I hit display and it goes from hour to trip 1, trip 2 and then the 6 dash lines. At this point, in this mode, display and set do nothing, the dash lines remain.

  7. #7mg23612021-09-05 05:38

    Did you try holding the set button and starting the unit? I'm curious if the outcome changes. The PVC is the controller behind the seat. Post a picture of the PVC and the fuse box behind the seat.

  8. #8Eddie Strobel2021-09-05 10:41

    I believe multiple times I attempted to start and just key on while entering service mode. Same outcome everytime. I will take a picture in a few hours.

  9. #9mg23612021-09-06 06:19

    Also did you clear the codes from the DDU by the battery box and see what came back?

  10. #10Eddie Strobel2021-09-06 18:14

    Yes, please read post 3 in this thread

  11. #11Eddie Strobel2021-09-06 19:58

    Here are two photos of behind the seat.

  12. #12Eddie Strobel2021-09-06 20:01

    No service codes but two stores codes keep appearing even after clearing 28,4 91,4 And throttle error.

  13. #13mg23612021-09-07 04:57

    Oops! Missed that. After going back over your original post and seeing you had wiring issues I still suspect wiring issues. The dashed lines tell me there is a loss of communication between the monitor and the other controllers. So I think your throttle issue is related. Did the throttle work OK before the wiring issues? Do you have the Operation and Test manual TM1930?

  14. #14Eddie Strobel2021-09-07 07:36

    The throttle has always worked, even after the small fire from last winter. But this summer when we went to use it, not only did it not work, but we noticed the wiring loom damaged more than we realized from the fire. I suspected this was the throttle issue, so we pulled the wiring from cab out and repaired. I assume good wiring butt connectors are just fine to use and won't effect wiring resistance, etc... I sure don't have the service manual mentioned.

  15. #15Eddie Strobel2021-10-06 09:11

    Tech came down yesterday and is thinking the PVC is faulty. They are going to replace and try again.

  16. #16Eddie Strobel2021-10-06 09:13

    This machine is also very often stuck in the high speed travel mode. I don't think I mentioned that to you, but what do you think that is about? I have heard it is fairly common. I asked them to look into that while on site as well.

  17. #17Ldub_822023-05-03 13:44

    Going through this little throttle randomness issue myself. Shows .2-.6 stop to stop. When checking the voltage range for the engine speed control, what’s the specs on that? Also, when checking codes in service mode is there a resource to tell you what the digits on the left side of the screen mean along with the digits on the right side? Could use the John deere TM1930 manual if anyone has it.

  18. #18mg23612023-05-04 05:19

    Check your messages.

  19. #19Afarley2023-07-22 21:47

    Did you ever find the cure for the no throttle? Mines starting to do the same thing.

  20. #20Ldub_822023-07-23 14:02

    It ended up being the vehicle control unit under the console behind the seat. It has low spots in the cover where the screws are, anything gets spilled back there or has a chance to leak in, it’s funneled basically right onto and possibly into the VCU. It had lots of corrosion and fried components inside.

  21. #21Afarley2023-07-23 14:31

    Did you have to clear the codes after you put the new one on for it to fix the idle? Anyway you can send a photo? Thanks.

  22. #22Ldub_822023-07-23 15:37

    No there weren’t any codes to clear.

  23. #23Afarley2023-07-23 16:05

    Both computers are new, changed the throttle control, and the sensor on the injection pump and still no throttle. Have any other ideas on what it might be?

  24. #24Afarley2023-07-23 16:05

    Or is there a relearn I need to do? Thanks.

  25. #25Eddie Strobel2023-07-23 23:36

    Going by memory, a new computer behind the seat was put in to fix either the throttle or the high/low two speed...don't recall. Either way, the end solution was that the new computer was at fault and another was installed and made everything good again!

  26. #26mg23612023-07-24 05:27

    Welcome to HEF Afarley ! Sounds like you have a short in your 5 volt reference circuit. A short in the 5 volt reference voltage will disable throttle control. Or maybe just a bad throttle dial. If this is a "C" model, you can access codes for the PVC in the monitor. Press and hold the SET button and key on. After bulb check, let go of the button. Scroll until there is a 0 (zero) on the left side of the screen. What number/s is on the right side of the screen? For ECU codes, use the Diagnostic Display Unit in the left rear compartment. With the key on are there any codes showing? If not, scroll to stored codes. Push the up and down arrow at the same time to access. I think there is also an active code selection. If so, access it the same way. Post all codes found. Also, please supply a complete machine serial number.

  27. #27Afarley2023-07-24 14:43

    Thanks for the welcome everyone. Where would the 5 volt reference circuit be located? We have plugged into the machine once. I do have a guy coming to plug back into it on Wednesday. I'll see what codes we get. We did replace the throttle dial with a new one. So I think we can rule it out. Pvc, and ecu have both been replaced. Everything on the machine works exactly as it should just no throttle response. It is a deere 120c.

  28. #28Afarley2023-07-24 14:44

    Thanks for the welcome everyone. Where would the 5 volt reference circuit be located? We have plugged into the machine once. I do have a guy coming to plug back into it on Wednesday. I'll see what codes we get. We did replace the throttle dial with a new one. So I think we can rule it out. Pvc, and ecu have both been replaced. Everything on the machine works exactly as it should just no throttle response. It is a deere 120c

  29. #29Afarley2023-07-24 14:48

    Any idea what the circled part is, And is it possible it might need replaced.

  30. #30mg23612023-07-25 05:01

    The 5 volt reference circuit is used in all controllers, usually the feedback circuits. Deere uses 5 volts, I think CAT uses 8 volts, but they all work the same. On older equipment, many of the sensors are on the same 5 volt circuit. On the Deere/Hitachi, if a sensor is shorted to ground or a wire supplying the 5 volts to a sensor is shorted to ground, it can pull the entire reference circuit down, which by design on the Deere/Hitachi shuts the controller down. Think of your laptop freezing up, same thing. You can throw all the expensive controllers at it all you want, if that short is still there, the controller freezes up (new or not). It is a self protection thing. If you have someone with MPDr connecting, not only get the codes, but monitor the throttle dial voltage. Unplug all the sensors, then see if the dial voltage changes when turned. If so, then plug them in one at a time until the throttle stops responding. That will be the culprit if it is a sensor. If all sensors are unplugged and still no change when in voltage the throttle dial is turned, then unplug the main cab harness from the cab. I think the PVC still gets voltage with that connector unplugged?? See if the dial voltage now changes. If so, wiring harness issue. Your circled part should be the 12 volt power converter.

  31. #31Afarley2023-07-25 13:09

    Do you know where I can find a list of sensors. Just to make sure I've replaced them all. Thanks.

  32. #32Afarley2023-07-25 13:25

    Would it be these 3?

  33. #33mg23612023-07-26 04:51

    No. None of the engine sensors are the issue. It would be all the machine sensors related to the hydraulic system. Replacing them all is not the answer. You could replace them all and still have an issue due to wiring. You need to troubleshoot which circuit is your problem so you can minimize the cost. I strongly suggest that if you want to tackle a job like this on your own, you need to acquire the 120C Operation and Test Manual, part number TM1934. Here is the Link to the manuals from the John Deere bookstore. There are 10 sensors on that circuit. Pump 1 discharge pressure sensor, pump 2 discharge pressure, Pump 1 control pressure sensor, pump 2 control pressure sensor, hydraulic oil temperature, arm in pressure sensor, swing pressure sensor, propel pressure sensor, dig and swing pressure sensor, and boom up pressure sensor. For locations of those sensors, you will need to acquire the manual mentioned above.