I have been thinking of getting a bigger excavator to ad to my fleet, Looking at getting a 200. The two excavators I am thinking of getting would be Deere 200D or possibly a 225D. Anyone have any experience with the 225? was wondering if the cab is a lot smaller? how the two compare in performance and fuel economy. Im looking at buying used something under 2000hrs, with hyd thumb and hyd pin grabber. Any Idea what new ones are worth?
Over a 100 views and nobody has any info?
I've run both a bit and what you choose will probably depend on what you want to do with it. I demoed a 225D when we were trying to decide on what excavator we wanted to put a mulcher head on and then I ran a 200D a little while later doing some dirt work. If I were to choose a machine, I would pick the 225D over the 200D for the sole reason it is zero tail swing and can work in tighter areas. The 225D's cab is not too much smaller than the 200D to make it uncomfortable to run for long hours and the stability of the machine is not that bad either. When I demoed the 225D, one of the tests I did was to take a full bucket (it had a 42" bucket on it at the time), swing it over the side 90 degrees to the tracks, and drop the boom to see if the machine would become unsteady. It did not feel unsteady to me at all. The biggest downsides I see of the 225D vs the 200D is about a 5-10% price premium for the 225D and the additional weight added to the 225D to make it stable. FWIW, I received pricing of $200K for a new 225D with a quick coupler and a 42" digging bucket around the end of 2011. Andrew
The 225 cab is smaller, but i didn't bother me any. Then again, i'm comfortable in just about any cab. :beatsmee The 225 also uses the same Izuzu motor as it's orange counterpart, so engine related parts are going to be different from standard Deere bits. If you want low hour 225 now is the time to buy since Deeretachi has dropped the 225 with the G series.
Thank you both. That's the kind of info I am looking for! Is there less leg room in the cab or is it just smaller behind the cab? Does it have enough room for a lunch box? Anyone have any idea how the fuel economy between the two compair? I thought I seen somewhere that the 225D has a 4 cyl engine is this correct? Thanks again!
The 225d uses an Isuzu 4HK1 (5.2l 4 cylinder) which is the same block Hitachi uses up to the zx290 with a 30hp bump. Generally, the Isuzu's are easier on fuel than their Deere counterparts. I think the main trade off is power bulge suffers from the smaller displacements. I was working on getting some solid data on the Isuzu/Powertech thing a while back, but that fell through. ointhead There isn't much for usable space behind the seat. If the leg room suffers any i wouldn't be the one to notice. I think the RTS cabs are a bit wider as there is a descent amount of space between the door and your leg. I had a big water jug on one side and a small backpack on the other. I wasn't getting in and out of the cab much otherwise it may have been an issue. The 225 page is hidden since it's between new and non-current atm http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/excavators/225d_lc/225d_lc.page
Hold on a minute here guys. Are you talking about a wonderfull old 225 or a newer 325. A 225D is not a current machine but is great machine, very durable. Get one with tight bushings and pins in the linkage, and a 3304 engine. Make sure all compartments hold oil and don`t leak down into some place else. Later Bob
Deere 225D :bouncegri
I have both but they are Link Belts. The 225 is much heavier than the 210. As for the cab sizes, there is quite a bit of room on the 225 next to the door and control lockout. I have the standard size lunch box and it will fit. There is no good place for your helmet or coat besides back behind the seat. Our 225 has a subwoofer behind the seat, so there is really no room. If you hang your coat where the hook is, it will block your visablity out of the left shoulder area. The 210 is way comfier to run, better heat and a/c vent systems. Plenty of room for the lunch box, coat, overalls, winter boots and all the other b/s we try to take with us. I love running my 210 my guys love running the 225 so everything is fine. If i only could have one type of hoe it would be a zero tail. regards,and merry christmas to all!
Okay, sorry about that. Later Bob
aren't deeres just re branded Hitachi's...?
I believe they are replacing the 225D with the 245G LC. The page just isn't openly posted on the Deere website yet.
Yes , Deere is Hitachi. .
If it was me I would look for a good 225C . Only thing I like on the 225d is the short controls and the cab to an extent. Balance and power was there for my comfort. Really the only complaint I hear on 225 is weight and it can be fun to work on if you have to..
225d I run a 135d I am partial to the zero tail swing machine, I have found them to be very well balanced maybe even better than machines with a counterweight stuck out in traffic. Alot more safe if you got men walking around the job site and your machine all the time. The cabs have less storage space for sure but you gotta lose it somewhere, I dont think you wll find comfort has been sacrificed though. Mechanic's definitly prefer a standard machine when it comes to working on the hydraulics and engine stuff again you gotta lose 4-6ft somewhere. It really depends on your working conditions and personal preferrence but I will say on the road and tight job sites the zero tail swing machines have an edge.....In my opinion that is.
We have a JD 135 and a volvo 235. Got to love not having a tail when you have to work next to something. But it seems that the bigger you get in size the more you notice the weight difference. The 135 doesn't feel much heavier then a 120 but that 235 sinks like a stone in the soft stuff and don't get me started on a komatsu 308 (pray for no rain).
Buck, I was thinking the same thing on the 225 and def on the 308(never been on a 308)