Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 230clc blowing fuse and shuts down

CaptainE · 2022-11-09 13:31

When i yawed the excavator quickly the engine immediately shutdown. Opened up battery compartment and found this 20amp fuse blown. Owner that I bought it from informed me they had the same problem and thought it was related to the batteries shifting around (since its missing the hold down clamps). They tried to secure it with straps and foam but I had the same problem. When looking at the diagram, it shows different fuse ratings (40 and 60). I believe the fuse is connected to this battery relay (correct me if wrong). Has anyone had this problem before? Would anyone that had a 200,230, or 270 be able to see what fuses they have there. thanks for your help

Replies17
  1. #1Diesel Dave2022-11-09 14:27

    The (2) small fuse holders in your picture are NOT original OEM. Not sure exactly what circuits they are powering up but looks very problematic. The 40 A fusible link in the schematic is bolted along with the red battery cable to the unswitched side of the battery relay. The 60 A fusible link is bolted to the switched side of the relay. The (2) fusible links are in black plastic housings for protection.

  2. #2CaptainE2022-11-09 15:06

    Interesting. Thanks for the confirmation

  3. #3Ivan_19812022-11-11 07:14

    This fuse is not factory installed. Most likely it is an engine preheating, maybe for some attachments. Without these fuses, does the engine start? Any sudden movement causes the engine to stop? Does the display work when the engine stop?

  4. #4CaptainE2022-11-11 12:41

    You are correct. Ive traced the wires down to what I believe is the hydraulic thumb attachment that was added. Looks like a goofy wiring job they did, but I believe it was installed by RDO Deere of North Dakota. What Im not sure of is why it shut the machine off. As soon as I put in a new fuse, it starts back up and operates no problem. So I will have to figure out why it was wired into what looks like the battery relay and maybe find a different place to install? Then chase down the actual short in the hydraulic thumb wire. I will post my findings....Thanks everyone

  5. #5John C.2022-11-11 14:07

    I don't know if this applies but some years ago I ran into the same thing. I found a grounded glow plug that would pull a huge amount of current and blow a fuse. That fuse was connected somehow to the key switch.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2022-11-11 21:20

    I assume the existing fusible link holder we can see in your picture at the battery relay is the 60 A. Just curious,is that 60 A fuse blown ?

  7. #7Ivan_19812022-11-12 01:53

    Does the IGN switch OFF when 20amp fuse blows? If so, I think that the IGN does not switch ON when the 20amp fuse is not installed. So I suppose that you have problem with BAT relay, and some crazy person decided to connect 24v from somewhere to the relay output

  8. #8CaptainE2022-11-16 08:50

    Before leaving town I tested pulling this 20amp yellow fuse in to picture and the hoe started right up no problem. I'll investigate further when I return, but I believe you are right Ivan that it may be a bad battery relay. Deere RDO installed the hydraulic thumb, so Im not sure why it was connected electically in this way so I'll do some more research there. If someone could comment on how their hydraulic thumb or any attachment is connected electrically I would appreciate that too. Thanks for your guys help

  9. #9Diesel Dave2022-11-16 09:35

    On the C series, I believe there are at least (2) fused auxiliary power connectors below the plastic tray behind the operator seat. That’s where we used to grab power for the add ons.

  10. #10CaptainE2022-11-16 09:49

    Ok great. That helps a lot. Thanks Dave

  11. #11CaptainE2022-11-26 15:20

    Does any of this look familiar? Not sure what im looking at or where the fused aux power connectors would be. I do see on the fuse box they tapped that for the quick coupler…Tnx

  12. #12CaptainE2022-11-26 15:38

    Cab harness component legend

  13. #13Diesel Dave2022-11-26 17:22

    Are you saying the quick coupler is wired into the fuse box at fuse #18

  14. #14Diesel Dave2022-11-26 22:17

    What letters or numbers are on the white tag that I circled in the pic below ?

  15. #15CaptainE2022-11-27 21:22

    It says AUX + , the other has AUX - I tried to debundle the wire loom best I could, but its hard to trace where they go. But I did see a red wire going into slot 18 aux 10A. It looks like there is only one open fuse slot available, the blank one. Thanks for writing back. I got busy with a new problem yesterday during testing....white smoke on startup. Hoping its just an injector, but going to call out the pros. Running out of warm weather and time here. Thanks again.

  16. #16Diesel Dave2022-11-27 21:57

    Only one aux circuit…I’ll be damned ! Are you planning to power the thumb circuit along with the quick coupler from the same fuse ? You could, the odds of you wanting to operate the thumb and the quick coupler at the same time would be slim to none. (Assuming the quick coupler valve does not require power to keep the bucket attached)

  17. #17CaptainE2022-11-28 14:22

    That might be a good idea. I also see a “start aid 20a” fuse. I see a wire coming from that, but dont think my hoe was equipped with it. Nor do i plan on operating in super cold weather. Thanks for the ideas