new to me 310a. Front axle spindles/steering arms are loose. spindle top has been welded where the previous owner attempted to tighten up the slop with the welder. Of course welds are all broken and not holding at all which is allowing the steering arm to pivot before the spindle reacts. It is ok at slow speed, but high speed the unit will wander/death wobble. Given there are going to be multiple operators (80 year old to 20 year old) using this, it needs to be fixed. I do not know if the epoxy repair was attempted, but assuming no. as I dig into this, I see the new version of this unit went to a 31 spline spindle/steering arm from the 27 spline my unit's serial number indicates it has. so my question is, if I need to replace the spindles and steering arms, will the 31 spline unit fit ???? Is there an upper limit to what the epoxy will correct ??? I don't see differences from the photos on line that sell these parts when I compare the 27 to the 31 spline and my local dealer does not know nor does he stock these either. Based on the pricing I am seeing I believe i will NOT be using Deere sourced parts. Unless someone tells me otherwise to do so. Deere is very proud of these parts compared to on line. I hate to replace both sides complete with the 27 when it appears the 31 is an upgrade and will offer better/longer service. TIA.
Welcome to HEF, John ! Could you post some photos of the spindles ? mg2361 is the John Deere expert here. The serial number of the tractor is the first thing he will want to see. I'm sure he will see this thread and give you professional advice.
serial is 377366T I show it as a 1980 model. Could be wrong though. I dont have photos of the spindles. The steering arms top side where the bolt head and washers normally are seen is all weld. So the thought is, the spindle/steering arm was loose and someone welded the top of the spindle the washers and bolts all together. (items 3,4,5,6 to 7) In time the welds cracked/broke free of the entire welded area and now exhibit a welded mass with a circular break out that spins with the spindle but is not attached to the steering arm. So the slop between the spindle and steering arm is once again present. If I can and it is within the tolerances I can/will grind off the welds remove the bolt from the top of the spindle and epoxy the splines like the repair kit from Deere indicates to do. I will then replace the bolt and washers to bring it back "fixed" as it should be. IF the wear is too great and or I can not salvage parts, then does the option to replace the steering arm/spindle with the 31 spline set used on the 301B and does this upgrade prove to be a true better upgrade????? If needed I can get photos, it will just take a day or two.
Take it apart and see what you have for bearing/bushings. Check if #9 is the same part in both models, #22 axle might even be the same, that would tell you for sure that the newer spindle will fit. Usually the jdparts.com will show the superceded numbers also. If you try to put it back together, I've welded new splines onto the spindle, then grind them sharp, then chisel out those groove in the other part a little deeper, then put it together with epoxy, or weld the top. Keep it greased, and replace the bushings if real bad.
Welcome to HEF John ! 310A Now you are straining my brain power... I believe this is all for naught. The parts are no longer available except one. So you are left with the Devcon B solution, welding, both, or bone yard parts. John Deere's official fix was the Devcon or upgrade to a 410 knuckle and arm which requires machining the axle end to accept larger bushings. But this option is not happening because those parts are no longer available as well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.