Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 310e hoe- no oil pressure

Pipevine ยท 2018-10-11 06:29

I've got a 99 310e how with about 2400 hours on it. Started it yesterday and the low oil pressure light came on. I teed a mechanical gauge in to the sender port and I'm getting no oil pressure. Everything sounds and runs normal though. I was planning on changing my oil yesterday anyway so I went ahead and changed it after the light came on but it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies18
  1. #1Pipevine2018-10-11 06:31

    I forgot to mention there are no visible oil leaks anywhere.

  2. #2Tinkerer2018-10-11 08:37

    I would suspect the oil pump has a problem. It has a screen on the pickup tube. It maybe covered with crap. Here is a link to the parts catalog ----> https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/81215/referrer/navigation/pgId/2335118

  3. #3Pipevine2018-10-11 18:52

    So I guess the next step is to pull the pan and investigate?

  4. #4Tinkerer2018-10-11 22:04

    Yes. Because a mechanical gauge has proven you have no oil pressure. Hopefully no damage has been done to the bearings.

  5. #5joe--h2018-10-12 11:16

    No pressure relief valve on those engines?

  6. #6Tinkerer2018-10-12 15:06

    I wondered about that also. Something has to regulate the pressure. I looked at the oil filter assembly and there was nothing there that I could see. But after looking further today, I found out there is an engine oil by-pass valve with a regulating spring. This is the most likely culprit IMHO. I would still recommend removing the oil pan and checking that screen, and the tube for loose bolts. . Many years ago I had a Chevrolet Camaro and it had the regulating spring in the oil pump. The spring actually broke into two pieces. The red light was the only indication the pressure dropped to 2lbs. I put a mechanical gauge with a grease gun hose and screwed it into the sending unit port on the block.

  7. #7Pipevine2018-10-13 14:47

    So how to i get the the spring on the prv to check it?

  8. #8Pipevine2018-10-13 16:25

    So how do I get to the prv spring to check it?

  9. #9Tinkerer2018-10-13 20:20

    Sorry I am not a "DEERE guy" Pipevine. So, I have no idea as to what all you have to remove to get at it. Hopefully Delmer or one of the other members that have Deere experience will read this and help. A service manual is your friend in these types of situations. If you still have the old oil filter you could cut it open and look for shiny things in the pleats. Hopefully it is spotless.

  10. #10joe--h2018-10-13 21:18

    My MF50 hoe has a Perkins 4-236. Same clever ********, relief valve is in the oil pump. Drop pan to clean the tiny piece of whatever was in it. Idiot engineer designed that should be shot. Joe H

  11. #11Pipevine2018-10-13 22:41

    Thank you. I was surprised and irritates when I realized that the full factory service manual is bought didn't include anything for the engine. So I guess I'll see if I can scare up a 4045 manual now. Thank you all for your help. I'll let you know what i find.

  12. #12Tinkerer2018-10-14 16:20

    It took me awhile Pipevine ! But I found the service manual for you and anyone else that wants to download it. Here is the link ---> http://www.kva-diesel.dk/sites/default/files/uploads/pdf/PowerTech 4045 6068.pdf And a sample of what it has ! I also found the electrical tech manual for the fuel delivery system and some other components in my search.

  13. #13Pipevine2018-10-15 04:22

    Thank you tinkerer. It's greatly appreciated.

  14. #14Tinkerer2018-10-15 08:12

    Thank you for the thank you, Pipevine. Please post back what you find out. It will help others with the same problem in the future.

  15. #15Pipevine2018-10-15 08:16

    Well , thus far I've found out that if it is the prv spring then it appears it's. Royal PITA to get to. I'm hoping mine has the plug in the timing cover to access it.

  16. #16Tinkerer2018-10-15 08:26

    I hope it has a plug to ! What a stupid design by John Deere. They must of anticipated problems with springseeing that the manual goes into detail about replacing it. Even if yours checks out OK it might be a good idea to replace anyway. That is the strangest location I have ever seen for an engine oil pressure regulator.

  17. #17joe--h2018-10-18 20:53

    That's worse than the Perkins drop the pan. Engineers trying for the "I'm the stupidest" prize. Joe H

  18. #18Vetech632018-10-23 08:18

    Every engineer thinks that the stuff they design will NEVER need repaired. That's the only explanation that makes sense sometimes.