I've found some very useful information on this forum. Mostly about productive operation and working on boggy ground, because I've not seen too much specific to the 310J and whatever mechanical problem I'm having at the moment. As painful as it's bound to be to anyone with diesel engine experience, I thought I'd add what I learned when the water pump started seizing up. Occasional squeal from the engine on start-up for the last few months - using it mostly to pull stumps, cut ditches, etc. on the land I own - but cranked it the other day, and sounded like the drive belt was going to melt. Shut it down, checked all the belt driven items. Water pump pulley couldn't be turned by hand. Downloaded the model and serial number specific manual from deere, since I'd never seen a water pump that had a hard pipe pushed into it... no fitting, etc. Imagine my surprise when, for all the pages in the pdf, including no end of instructions on disconnecting things from the engine for removal, there wasn't any mention of a water pump. Nothing on the engine itself at all, actually. Bought the pump from deere, hoping I'd get a little guidance as to how to dis-connect it. Was disappointed as to the last, but with it in hand, I could see that the fitting wasn't some kind of quick connect, but just a shove-it-in rubber sleeve bushing. Twisted the old one off the pipe, after I had unbolted it, and pushed the new one on, greased with a thin wipe of soft soap. Not saying I'm a whiz at it, but I had googled: backhoe model - water pump - hard pipe - push connection - rubber bushing -etc., long enough that I decided there wasn't anything out there on it. People who had to know it for living already did, the rest of us either hadn't learned or hadn't shared. Hope this helps someone.
Welcome to HEF Catahoula! First, good job on persevering and figuring it out. Next time try posting here before you start the work and you would most likely have received the information you needed to do the job.