318D was running and operating most of the day. I shut the machine off, then attempted to restart moments later and it wouldn't start and it barely put out any smoke. Also, the machine was unusually hard to start that morning. I had to cycle the glow plugs and crank it at least 4/5 times. I have replaced the air filter and plan to try fuel filters next. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
Fuel filters are a good start. Fuel tank vent plugged? Loosen fuel cap and listen for a whoosh. Did it run normally once started? Scroll through the monitor and check for codes.
Yes, it ran well. It even had plenty of power but it did put out quite a bit of black smoke when accelerating.
Check the tank vent and fuel filters first. Do you have gauges to check fuel pressure?
The tank vent is open, fuel filters are new. I don't have any gauges to check fuel pressure. I checked for traces of fuel in the oil to see if the seals on the injection pumps might be losing pressure and it looked good. Also, there are no active engine codes on the monitor. Would there be any fuses or electrical related problems? I would expect the machine to throw a code if so.
Since you do not have gauges, you could replace the fuel return check valve (P/N RE537400). If that is defective you would lose prime in the rail and it makes for hard starting. That is the tee fitting located on the side of the block (right side of the block which is the left side of the machine). It is accessed from under the cab. The machine will still hard to start the first time after replacement until the fuel is bled free of air.
Thank you. I'll try that.
I replaced the fuel return check valve. The machine acts no different and still will not start. It cranks and it puts outs plenty of smoke, which makes me think it is getting fuel. I also changed out the fuel and air filters.
I had one that would only start if you gave it a sniff of ether and the would run all day, if it got fully cooled it wouldn't start without ether. Checked fuel shut off and then had the pumps replaced and calibrated and it was running