Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 318d joystick issue

formula14 ยท 2024-08-31 17:51

I have a 2012 Deere 318d that no longer wants to turn for me, will move straight forward and backwards with no issue. Have used it every few days with no problems and jumped in today and backed out of the barn and went to turn and the machine beeped, braked and threw code # 2697.14 Left Joystick X-Axis. Is it normal for the joystick to go bad out of the blue? Looking on Deere parts site they have the full joystick for ~$2500 or the joystick sensor for ~$1500, is this usually a sensor issue or do i need the whole assembly? Anyone else had this issue? I pulled the plastic cover off to check for frayed wires or something else blatantly wrong and everything looked fine. Machine has 1900 hours on it. Thanks for your help

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612024-09-01 07:14

    Welcome to HEF formula14 ! Yes, they can fail just like that. If the Y-Axis is working, then the voltage supply, ground, and communication wires are good. If you clear the code and the X-Axis code comes back, then you will need the joystick.

  2. #2formula142024-09-01 10:23

    I cleared the code and it immediately came back, can I get by with buying the sensor for $1500 vs the whole assembly for $2500? It looks like I can move the joystick handle over to the new sensor fairly easily. Thanks for your reply

  3. #3mg23612024-09-02 06:27

    Yep, you can do that.

  4. #4MillwrightFarmer2025-03-31 09:40

    @ formula14 Did you end up getting a sensor? Did JD sell you one or did you find a used one?