Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 4.5L Injection Timing Problem

Landworks ยท 2010-08-07 09:16

I replaced an injection pump on a 450H dozer of ours yesterday (Stanadyne Pump). I followed the installation procedures using the key in the index in the injection pump and a key in the flywheel for top dead center. Rotated the crank counterclockwise against the key for backlash, and pump seems to be slightly out of time as engine is hart to start and smokes. I repeated this procedure three times (and it was not fun the the 100 deg heat) with similar results. Any suggestions??

Replies2
  1. #1OneWelder2010-08-07 12:09

    Are you sure you are not 180 degrees out ? Some will start and run very poorly that way I time the pump before removal , saves a lot of problems on reassembly

  2. #2ih1002010-08-07 16:49

    You should rotate the pump gear to take out the backlash, not the crank gear.