Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 4045 DF150 misbehaving

wlhequipment · 2023-03-14 12:49

This one is making me crazy. Here are the symptoms: Customer reported an overspeed situation It Does Run Lots of smoke, rough running. Made the shop toxic in less than a minute. Cylinder 3 is about 50 degrees colder than the others Compressions are between 375 and 400 Injection pump timing is correct, as far as I can tell (not 100% on this one yet). What I done did: new injectors new fuel filter checked compressions cold and warm oil level ok coolant ok overhead in process (valve cover studs are rusted, soaking them at the moment) I ran a little experiment on the injection pump. Never tried this before. I connected rubber hoses to the hard lines, and ran them to 10cc syringes, so I could watch the volume as closely as my hucklebuck talents would allow. This test showed #3 and 4 to be very consistent, not a measurable difference. #1 is consistently a little low and #2 is consistently a little high. By "little" I mean between 1 and 2ccs of fuel with 60 seconds of cranking. In other words, I'd empty the syringes, crank the engine for 60 seconds (injectors removed and battery on charger), and #3 and #4 would be about 8cc. #1 would be about 7cc and #2 would be about 9cc. I ran this experiment several times and got the same result each time. I even swapped around hoses and syringes to make sure they weren't to blame. This is as close as I can get to bench testing an injection pump. It's a Stanadyne db2, which is a rotary pump. If one output is low, you expect the opposing cylinder output to be low also, just because how the rotary style pump works. That's not what's happening, 1 and 2 are directly adjacent to each other on the pump, they're not 180 from each other. So, I got nothing there. I don't have the manual for this engine. I posted in the SMTP, maybe somone can help there. I can't be 100% sure of the injection pump timing, but I took the cover off from the front of the injection pump, and with #1 TDC (as close as I can get it) on compression, the mark on the gear points to the crankshaft. If it skipped a tooth, I'd see it. All teeth seem to be intact. Any and all thoughts appreciated!

Replies14
  1. #1Diesel Dave2023-03-14 20:21

    Remove the injection pump drive gear retaining nut. I believe with the injection pump is at TDC # 1 the key and keyway is at 12 o’clock.

  2. #2wlhequipment2023-03-14 21:40

    Thanks! Do I have to worry about dropping that gear?

  3. #3Diesel Dave2023-03-14 23:25

    At this point your just removing the nut and washer to get a visual of the key and keyway, not pulling the gear or removing the injection pump.

  4. #4mg23612023-03-15 04:52

    How about posting a picture of the injection pump? Did you perform a cylinder leak down test? Definitely check those valve adjustments.

  5. #5wlhequipment2023-03-15 07:33

    The pump is a stanadyne db2. I normally don’t do leakdowns when compressions are as good as this, but it certainly couldn’t hurt. I let those studs soak overnight. I’m hoping they don’t break when I take em off today.

  6. #6Vetech632023-03-15 08:00

    Someone didn't put DEF in the fuel tank did they?

  7. #7wlhequipment2023-03-15 09:21

    I don’t think he’s dumb enough to do that, but boy that’s a good question. I’ll run an aux tank today and see if that improves anything.

  8. #8wlhequipment2023-03-15 12:26

    Keyway is not straight up, it's pointed toward the water pump.

  9. #9wlhequipment2023-03-15 12:27

    Overheads are fine. I'm on to running an aux fuel setup.

  10. #10wlhequipment2023-03-15 15:41

    Coming up empty handed. I've done everything I can think of, and cyl 3 is still cold, and it's still smoking like crazy. There are a few more air bubbles in that system than I would expect, but I don't think that's my primary issue. I think that injection pump needs to come out. I made a crappy video for you to laugh at

  11. #11mks2023-03-15 16:33

    The above mentioned keyway is not sheared? Rest of fuel system clean? Confident in new injectors?

  12. #12wlhequipment2023-03-15 16:38

    I’m going to pull the pump tomorrow and take it in. If the key is sheared that could be the culprit. Injectors are new, and I checked em anyway, all cracking at 3400. System is clean, and as of this running, fuel is fresh.

  13. #13wlhequipment2023-03-15 16:39

    Actually, I did check the key way today. I forgot . Not sheared.

  14. #14wlhequipment2023-03-20 12:43

    I didn't take the injection pump in last week because my daughter got sick and had to take a little holiday form school (strep, shes fine now). Anyhow, I came in this morning to to just try the aux fuel setup one more time, just to be sure. No change. I did notice that there were 2 timing marks on the injection pump, and you can see by the paint, that the pump had been moved since it came from the factory. Just on a whim, I put it back to covering the paint and lining up with that other mark, and it runs much better. Still smokes a bit on startup, and still a little rough, but it looks like this was a timing issue all along. I'm having a hard time believing it, but there we are. I"m going to move the pump just above that lower line just to see if that improves things a little more, and see what happens.