My partner picked up a Deere 450 dozer with six-way blade that looks to be running and just right for our gravel operation. He said that it was hard to steer to the left in operation when travelling forward, but seemed to be okay when reversing. Is this a probable indication of a worn steering/brake band? As always, thanks to all on the forum for the helpful advice I've received over the years on all the old iron I've had the pleasure of been able to fix. -Tom
Straight 450? How about a complete machine serial number.
deleted
JD 450 s/n 13868 (constant mesh transmission)
Serial number is not complete. If it works in reverse, it is probably not a worn clutch brake. Make sure oil did not leak into the steering compartment. I would next try the steering clutch adjustment. Do you have the procedure? Does that unit have power steering? If you look under the seat, there would be 2 little cylinders on the steering clutch linkage. If so, is the reservoir full of oil (I know, the other side works)? I would check it anyway. The reservoir is a little can above the engine, near the radiator.
Many thanks for the things to check. We have the full manual set but my partner was puzzled about the reservoir. Now we know! I don't know if it's a conspiracy but I find much of the old iron I get or work on seem to have damage to the serial number and/or identification plates. This dozer is just one example: Regards, -Tom