First, thanks for allowing me to join this group, looking for some experienced help with my new (to me) John Deere 450C Did a search and could not find any information that I was specifically looking for so...... Bought a 450C to clean up some property I own, as near as I can tell, about a 1976 model. motor runs great, acceptable undercarriage and for the most part does a good job for what I bought the machine for, however.... I have no low range, hi and reverse work fine but when I shift to low, it's like it goes into neutral. Linkage seems to be adjusted fine but nothing in low. Also from what I think may be a separate problem, with the clutch depressed can't shift 1-2-3-4 without grinding gears unless the motor is stopped. Clutch seems engage/disengage normally. From what I can tell from other posts is there is a hydraulic pressure adjustment inside the bell housing.
Welcome to HEF Ken ! I always start with the complete clutch adjustment procedure and shift linkage wear. Check your PM's.
HLR linkage was terribly worn at the transmission. These parts are obsolete from JD so I made a new “eye” for the lower lever and welded it in, welded up the trunion, re-drilled and reamed .5” good snug fit. Adjusted the linkage (thanks mg2361) and now I have low range.