I recently picked up an older deere 50 excavator. I had been looking for something in the 5 ton range for awhile and stumbled on a pretty good deal. When I looked at it I knew it would need some undercarriage work but would last through a few jobs. The problem that I am running into is parts availability. I need to pick up some bottom rollers for it. Better yet the bushings and seals as the rollers are in decent shape just the bushings are froze. The tracks will have to be replaced soon as well. I have spoken with Jason at trackworks, he was able to help me out with my 267b and get me a lead on some replacement rubber tracks for this excavator. I don't recall if he said he could get rollers for me or not. I do remember he said he couldn't find a front idler. My local deere dealer wasn't able to help even through their vintage parts. I knew this would be an issue when I bought it and I suspect that is why I got it at such a great price. It would make a great homeowner machine but I hate to sell it with it being in such great shape. It would cost at least 4x what I paid to pick up a replacement that is more modern. I would like to spend as little money as possible on it since times are a little slow. Also with the rest of the undercarriage having at least 500hrs left I don't want to replace it with all new. Any good used parts places that are reasonably priced? Or maybe I could rebuild the rollers with bearings as opposed to bushings? Haven't had time to take one apart but has anyone done this?
Tbone can you get me a serial number off the machine. you can pm me if needed. Thanks justin
Same machine as a Yanmar B50 if I'm not mistaken. Try Dominion Equipment. Or Toronto TracParts
I looked at the same model machine a while back, parts availabilty was why I did not go for the deal.
I knew the parts availability would be horrible. But, I picked it up at such a low price that I couldn't pass. Worst case I sell it and don't lose any money or spend a little and fix it. It is in such great shape that I hate to sell it. It might be old but it works great
I have done a little more searching and have come up with Viqan for some steel replacement tracks, for a Yanmar B50. Seem pretty cheap at 2500 for the set. I am still going to give Jason at trackworks a call when I have time. Does anyone have any comments about Viqan, are they any good? Also has anyone rebuilt a bottom track roller? I am thinking the design is a little poor using a bushing instead of a bearing. I was thinking if I can split the roller, measure the tolerances, and find a bearing with the right load characteristics this would be much better and cheaper than new. Something like a sealed ball bearing or similar that could take the lateral load of pivoting on the tracks. Just wondering if anyone has attempted something similar and if so what were the results?
viqan tracks are great;i bought a set of steel tracks with rubber pads not long ago.try north american track lcc for the bottem rollers and ask for jj.phone no. 1-800-245-2136 thats where i ordered mine from.(very reasonable)
I did a lot more calling around. Dominion wanted 550 per roller assembly. Trackworks and every Deere dealer couldn't find a listing for the rollers. They just aren't supported anymore. The dealer said they could supply me with the bushing and seal for 33ea and 55ea respectively. North American Track seems to think they can get me the rollers for under 200ea. My fingers are crossed. I realize that this is old but cat still supports there excavators from the 80's.
Hey tbone, did you call that number I gave you? And did you come up with anything?
I did. He came up with the 33 bushing and 55 seal prices but no complete assembly. The best luck i have had so far is with north american tracks. I was also wondering if I could switch to a center lip roller as opposed to the outside lip. Nobody can give me any information though. It is incredibly frustrating I cant be the first person to go through this.
How old is your machine?
The machine is a 1988
That is pretty old. No luck yet?