Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

deere 50d hard start when warm

TIredoldparts · 2022-04-22 21:03

I have a deere 50d, with 7500 hrs on it, and its hard to start when its warm, runs great doesn't smoke, but if I shut it down warm, it doesn't want to restart. If I turn the throttle up while cranking it will eventually restart though. so what am I looking at, worn rings or worn injectors? I need to replace the front and rear seal on it soon, and wondering how far to go on my repairs. how many hrs do these typically go before they need serious engine work?

Replies8
  1. #1csthompson122022-04-23 09:02

    I had similar symptoms on my machine... What it turned out to be was a worn fuel injector pump. When Everything warmed up, the pump would not make enough pressure to pop the injectors. I tested it by removing an injector from the engine, and connecting the line to it. Then cranked the engine, and got no spray from the injector.

  2. #2T320FL2022-04-23 11:32

    Considering the hours, I would check the engine valves. The gap is probably too tight.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2022-04-23 13:32

    And what’s wrong w increasing the throttle to start it.?? As a matter of fact, ALL diesels should b started at FULL to MID-throttle..

  4. #4TIredoldparts2022-04-23 16:46

    well it normally will start right off at any throttle setting, unless I've been working it and shut it down, then it has to sit for 30-45 min at least to start normal again. I always let it idle a few min before shutting down, but it still does it. yesterday we were running it, then stopped to pour some footings for the house. decided we needed it in the middle of the foundation to shuttle concrete and it didn't want to start up. I'm sure a valve adjustment wouldn't hurt. I need to find specs. the deere manual just says take it to a dealer. not doing that!

  5. #5Columbo2022-04-23 17:57

    Could you elaborate on this a little? I’ve always started my engines at low throttle and let them warm up for a few minutes before increasing rpm’s. (Sorry for the hijack!)

  6. #6mg23612022-04-24 05:37

    The plate on top of the engine will have the model number. Models 4TNV106, 4TNV106T, 0.010"-0.014" for both intake and exhaust. Engine other than 4TNV106/106T, 0.006"-0.010" for both intake and exhaust (I think this is the one you need).

  7. #7TIredoldparts2022-04-24 18:51

    its a 4tnv88. I have a manual on the way hopefully.

  8. #8mg23612022-04-25 04:57

    Then 0.006"-0.010" it is.