So I'm working on a parking brake issue on a 544H loader for a customer of mine. The park brake indicator light in the dash never illuminates. The machine just flashes "stop" when you move the shuttle shift lever to "forward" or "reverse" regardless of what position the park brake switch is in. I have 26 volts at the rocker switch in the dash and the switch seems to be working properly. But like I said, the indicator light never lights up and I can't get any power to the park brake solenoid. I do have power to the park brake sensor on the valve and it's getting back to the TCU. Just wondering if it needs a TCU or could something else be causing the issue. I never could find a relay for the park brake either, not even mentioned on the fuse box diagram.
I am not sure in the 544H application, however on other deere machines I dealt with, there is also a service brake pressure sensor that must show pressure before it will allow release of the parking brake.
Thanks, I'll check that out. I managed to come up with a service manual and the one thing I haven't checked is the engine speed sensor which is part of the circuit. Thanks
Check the park brake pressure switch.
Sorry. Just read the entire message wrong and that you checked the park brake pressure switch. I attached a schematic and a solution that might help.
If the PB light works on the bulb check, then check the F4 fuse. Even if the fuse is good make sure the B02 and P02 red wires on either side of the fuse are good and voltage is getting where it needs to (TCU pins 23 and 68 and the Monitor pin G - unswitched supply).
Yep, all that is good. Good continuity on pressure switch, rocker switch, and solenoid harness. The park brake indicator bulb does work now, it was just burned out. I did get into the monitor and got a 343 and 389 code. Neither will clear because I assume they're active.
Have you checked the transmission pump pressure. It supplies the park brake release pressure I believe , at least I know it does on a K series.
It's not even telling the solenoid to release the park brake. I'm not sure what those codes are, can't find a cheat sheet.
Just a shot, I recently repaired three zf tranmissions with the same failure. The K series jd. Parking brake would not release. The TCU will abort signal to release solonoid immediately if no pressure signal from park brake pressure sensor. There is not a trans pressure sensor in the TCU circuit. The drive bearing failed and let the torque converter move forward enough to come unsplined from trans pump, and , and it does not have to move much it has very small engagement splines. The other two were case , these did not a affect park brake release because they use the hydraulic system for pressure. Sorry, help you with the codes. The John Deere bookstore has factory manual download s that are reasonable priced IMO.
F389 Park Brake Solenoid open. The TCU will send a diagnostic voltage out to the solenoid at key on and if it detects any errors the PB and the transmission are disabled. The F343 Outout Speed Sensor short to power could also create issues. Diag sent to it as well and a faulty output speed sensor will cause transmission to be disabled as well. Check the wiring first. I have seen many issues with the wiring to the output shaft sensor. Park brake could be either wiring or solenoid. Sorry I do not have spec for the solenoid resistance ("J" series is 26 -31 ohms).
thanks a ton, seems like it shouldn't be this complicated to make a loader go forward and backward. haha. I'll check the wiring again to the solenoid. Haven't checked the output speed sensor yet, that code was the first time it indicated any trouble.
ive got a 544H with a similar problem , park brake will release and work for months , then next day it will not release , shows code 1655 when it doesn't . I have replaced the monitor , CAN from monitor to tcu and ccu .
Sounds like a "CAN" issue. Being intermittent it is probably wiring related. From the frequency of occurrences it will be hard to find as well. From the 544H service manual: F1655 No TCU CAN Transmit Wire M12 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3) M12 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.) Wire M13 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3) M13 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.) Wire R02 (Black) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3) R02 (Black) Open (Check/Repair.) TCU (A3) TCU (Replace) MDU (Reconfigure). See Monitor Display Unit Reconfiguration Access Service Menu , Machine Model (S 01) , Tire Size (S 03) , Enable Options (S 06) , and Delete Service Codes in Group 9015—15.
this has been going on for 5 years , the machine is not used often and sits for months at a time . but when it is used it will work normal for days then the next day it will not release , go to it the next day and all works fine . it had a issue with the monitor ( select button wouldn't work ) and I had local john deere dealer come trouble shoot the parking brake issue and I was told its the monitor ,, so I installed a new monitor . it did not fix park brake problem but it did allow me to see the codes , 1655 ( no TCU transmit ) 1653 ( no CCU transmit ) The monitor , when its keyed on , will do all the normal light flash and beeps , crank it up , sometimes the PB light will be on and the display will show gear , tach , volts . but when the PB is released the display will only show ----(dashes) for gear position , tach will freeze on what ever rpm it was at . wait , and everything comes back , then goes away . restart it dozens of times with similar results . on rare occasions the PB will release and display is normal but travel 10 feet and it locks down . I had a harness from a fire damaged 544J ,I cut it apart and separated the CAN , last friday I piggy backed the second CAN at the MDU , CCU , TCU . that made no change , I then cut the original CAN , again no change . why would the engine rpm's freeze ?
All fuses (especially F4) good? Charging system good. Overcharge could cause all kinds of issues. Everything else work (lights, markers, return to dig, etc) when problem happens? Any other warning lights come on when problem happens? I attached a solution that might help. Maybe a screen shot of the monitor when it happens. Also a serial number would help. Dashes for gear position usually indicate a bad FNR or it's wiring. With rpm signal issues check torque converter input speed sensor and it's wiring.
I didn't get a chance to get to the machine today , but did stop by the JD dealer and priced associated wiring harness ,wow , no way im going that route . I was able to get into the shop and talk to 2 techs ( ive known them for years) until service manger got back from lunch and told he was going to send me a bill for $200. The ser# is 588277 , volts and charging are in range , everything else works as it should and no other warnings.. Im going to hook up the original CAN and check ohms ( techs told me it should be 60 on the m12-m13)
That was going to be my next recommendation after post #16. If you have 60 ohms (if you have 120 ohms one termination resistor is bad) then check CAN high voltage and CAN low voltage both when machine working normally and when acting up. You want all controllers "in the network" when checking so you will probably have to back probe the wires to check. Normally high would be 2.5-2.7 V and low should be 2.3-2.5 V (the two should add up to 5 V, approx.).
I went to the machine today but was only able to spend a hour , the machine is on a restricted site and they were doing HE testing. I got the original CAN hooked back up , checked ohms, key off, 63.8 ohms at m12-m13 .. just as I started on my to check list I got told I had 10 mins to leave . I did start the machine , no PB light , dashes on gear display , no tach .
did some testing today ,still codes 1655 and 1653 , now the park brake light doesn't stay on after bulb check , display still has dashes , no tach and showing volts 24-27 , ohms between M12 and M13 was 64.3 ,, M13 by itself 6.9, M12 by itself 1.8 , RO2 by itself .6 to 1.0 . on the tcu pin 45 wire P-24 had battery volts , tcu pin 23 and 68 wire P-02 had battery volts . G wire at monitor had battery volts . whats the TM/SA procedure fix code 1655 and 1653 ? where is the F4 fuse ? I could find no reference to F4 , all fuses checked ok p
What are the "voltage" measurements of the M12 and M13 wires with the key on and issue happening? Check the voltage measurements of your ground wires for the TCU (terminals 1 and 2) and the Monitor (terminal K) as well. They should be less than 0.100 V. I also attached a solution I found. Not your serial number but worth mentioning. Hear is the diagnostics out of the manual (won't be much help): F1653 No CCU Transmit Wire M12 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3)—M12 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.) Wire M13 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3)—M13 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.) CCU (A2) CCU (Replace) MDU (Reconfigure). See Monitor Display Unit Reconfiguration Access Service Menu , Machine Model (S 01) , Tire Size (S 03) , Enable Options (S 06) , and Delete Service Codes in Group 9015—15. F1655 No TCU CAN Transmit Wire M12 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3) M12 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.) Wire M13 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3) M13 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.) Wire R02 (Black) Harness (W3) Open Load Center Harness (W3) R02 (Black) Open (Check/Repair.) TCU (A3) TCU (Replace) MDU (Reconfigure). See Monitor Display Unit Reconfiguration Access Service Menu , Machine Model (S 01) , Tire Size (S 03) , Enable Options (S 06) , and Delete Service Codes in Group 9015—15.
volts , key on , M-12 2.30 volts , M-13 2.19 volts , RO-2 .000 volts , GO-1 .007 volts . TCU volts at pin-1 .000 volts , pin-2 .007 volts . at monitor K wire .030 to .034 volts . I don't know if this is important but I rechecked ohms at M-12 and M-13 (key off)and its now 67.1 , I checked M-12 with negative lead of meter to ground and got 13.36 , M-13 was 13.36 , GO-1 was 1.1 , RO-2 was 1.6
Try measuring the M12 and 13 voltages again with each controller disconnected one at a time. The 12 and 13 voltages should add up to approx. 5 V. If at any point they do add up to 5 V then you found a problem controller. 67 ohms does not concern me however if you want to check them individually I attached their locations. They should be 120 ohms each.
I had a few mins to do some checking today ,, I started out checking m12 & m13 by their self , I checked with terminating node installed and could not get a accurate reading , removed both nodes and retested , again didn't look right , showing 6.2 ohms on m12 and 8. to 10. on m13 . I was watching a big storm heading my way and knew I only had a few more mins so wanted to check volts as I disconnected each controller , I disconnected the tcu first , then remembered I should have done a new baseline volts first , so I turned main power off and reconnected tcu and turned main power back on . I looked at display and all was working normal , gear position , started machine , park brake released.. so if im thinking right its got to be tcu plug or pins loosing contact .
Good possibility. Any time a connection is disturbed and then things work I would be checking the pins in the connector of the TCU for corrosion and fit. Then check the wiring near the TCU connector. I see many wires broken on various machines near or at the crimp of the terminal. Another possibility is a cracked solder joint within the TCU ......Let's hope for wiring !
everything is still working . im going to wait til it does it again before I look for the problem . I want to thank you for your help
well , after 6 months of machine working as it should its back to doing the same thing . code 1655 no tcu transmit . I tried unplugging the tcu and replug like I did last time , no change .. I have all my notes from last time and I will go though everything again. if anyone has had code 1655 and found the problem
MG2361 if I could ask for your help again . only code is 1655 , everything else works as it should. I rechecked M-12,M-13 and RO2 for continuity . ok check ohms of M-12 , M-13 at TCU , CCU , term resistor . 63.3 ohms at MDU term resistor. 64.3 , at MDU plug A and B. 65.4 ohms checked volts at MDU , grounded at RO-2 , M-12 2.39 volts , M-13 2.28 volts . moved ground to frame and rechecked M-12 1.94 volts , M-13 1.84 volts . im sure I forgot to check something . I did unplug the TCU and try to move the pins with my knife ,re plugged and it worked , park brake released , worked the machine for 1 hour . the next day park brake would not release , I repeated what I did the day before and no change . I don't mind buying a TCU if im sure that's the problem but being a pricey part I need to be sure . cant find another machine to swap TCU's with . I did replace the MDU recently and I didn't reconfigure it , could that affect the TCU ?
The monitor should be configured. I am not sure if the configuration will cause your issue however. It is starting to sound like you need a TCU. Maybe a solder joint is broken inside the TCU??
I have the file on the reconfiguring steps just never did it . the parking brake issue started long before the monitor was replaced .
I reconfigured the monitor and had some codes because I didn't turn some things on and everything worked great for 3 days , I ran it everyday just to check . then on the 4th day it was back ,, dashes on the display, park brake would not release , 1655 code . BUT also codes 1664 (brake light pressure circuit), code 307 (tcu volts high), and have seen code 0339 (tcu sensor voltage short to ground) several times. machine volts are a high of 27.9 just after start up and a normal of 27.6 volts , I checked at tcu and it matched battery display volts I spent a few hours with it today and could get the park brake to release but it would come back on in 40 seconds , while it was running I tried unplugging tcu and watching display as I plugged it back up , display would be right for 1 min the go to dashes . if I could get it to move 20 feet with out it locking up , it would work for hours .
I took the tcu apart to look , everything looked normal other than a couple gray solder joints . got fairly aggressive with the wiring harness trying to see a change on the display .
Just want to rule something out. Check the battery terminal at the alternator for AC voltage with the engine running. What do you have?
AC volts ? I don't you mean DC ? its got 27.92 volts at the alternator , 27.83 at the starter , 27.97 on the display , at the tcu P02 27.79 volts , P24 26.92 volts , M 12-13 2.46-2.35 volts . went back through the reprograming of the monitor and then park brake would release , shut it off and went back 2 hours later and NO park brake release . still have code 339 , 1664 , 307 , 1655
Yes, AC volts. If you have more than 1 V AC (bad diode?) it could wreak havoc with the controllers.
ok , glad I checked it .112
Check voltage from TCU pins 1 and 2 (backprobe with connector connected to controller) when the engine is running. Should be less than 0.100 V DC. If higher check the ground at starter. If voltage is good then you may need a TCU.
It is .006 volts , I went through my notes from months ago and it was .007 volts.
I did notice this today . the main power disconnect is bad , machine will crank and start with switch in the off position
Hi did you ever resolve this issue? Have a similar fault with a 624H