My boss asked me to figure out a problem with the John Deere 644E loader that he just bought. It started out as a slight "shudder/groan" from the right front axle while applying the foot brake. Soon became a severe "shudder/groan" and the brake light came on. My background is ag tractors at a small local Deere dealer, so I have no manuals to go by. It looks like a small hydraulic pump on the front of the transmission supplies pressure oil to operate inboard wet brakes. Does anyone have some insight on this problem so that I can decide whether to send it out or to tackle it myself?
i'd pull the drain plug from the diff and see what the oil looks like. if the brake warning light is on, i'd suspect the backing plates are worn to the point that the brake pistons extended far enough to slow out the piston seals brakes are pressure applied, you may have a brake valve thats not fully releasing, and keeping pressure on the brake pistons. but it sounds like you may be past the point of no return... :drinkup
Thank you, chief, that will be the first thing I do. Sounds similar to ag tractors when their brakes go out. Lots of brake iron in the oil.
i'm not real familiar with JD ag stuff, but i rebuilt a LOT of those axles in the 10 years i was at a deere dealer. :drinkup
Tribco Kevlar Frictions We make Kevlar frictions for these axles and find that some of the issues you describe can be resolved with our non abrasive products as well as longer wear and smoother engagement. Also, we re-line old cores and we sell rivet on pads for easier maintenance.
Tribco, have some questions, I'm looking to do a full brake job on a 644E can you PM me with some prices for relining? or rivet on pads? I'm wondering how the repairs went I have a 644E and am looking for tips, The oil has some glitter to it and looking down the inspection ports, there's nothing I can see for pads so I'll assume I need new disks and pads on that end at least. My question is, how quick can brakes be changed? We will be having tires done in the fall, so forklift the axle out? 2400 pounds or so? Not sure how to wiggle and weasel the parts around safely, maybe put it up on blocks and do one side at a time? sling and forklift for the axle housing? Engine crane?