Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 655C – safety lever/machine travel malfunction

02Dmax ยท 2016-03-01 23:12

I've got a customer with a Deere 655C track loader. I'm not real familiar with these machines, this is only the 2nd one I've worked on much. He was using it this afternoon and it came to a dead stop and the safety lever light lit up (like it does when the bar is down, in the parked position) When I pulled the bar up to the run position the light goes out for about a split second then comes right back on. When it does this it won't let the machine travel. Boom still works fine fine but it doesn't even try to move. The lever switch is operating like it should and I even made a jumper wire to trick it and it still had the same problem. Anyone know here to check next? I've checked all the fuses and connections I can see. The cab is up and all wiring at the travel pumps looks good. Any ideas?

Replies12
  1. #1AllDodge2016-03-02 10:30

    Don't know but I would start with the switch that tells the machine the bar is down/up

  2. #2mikebramel2016-03-02 10:48

    Does your email accept a 20MB file?

  3. #302Dmax2016-03-03 20:00

    Ya. On my computer it will.

  4. #4Drew Mack02242017-11-05 23:19

    I know this is an old thread, but am having the same problem in the topic. Deere 655C track loader comes to a dead stop, and the "L" low range light and the electric problem indicator light both light up. The loader will sometimes work fine after turning the key on and off. I have had three different mechanics look at it, none have had any luck. Any info that anyone could share will be much appreciated.

  5. #5lsquared2019-05-28 11:56

    I 've had the same problem with my 2005 655C. It got progressively worse until the machine would not move. I had Deere technicians out twice to look at it and it was finally determined the Transmission Controller was faulty. John Deere does not have any in stock and can't get them. The bad news, I've waited over 6 months for Liebherr to supply the controller so Deere can install it. The really bad news is Liebherr has no idea when one will become available. So I've had a machine sitting for about 9 months waiting for parts. Unbelievable!

  6. #6mg23612019-05-28 12:12

    Most of the time the issue is with the steering pedal potentiometers. They are affected by mud packed around the pedals, or they get out of adjustment or need to be replaced.

  7. #7mikebramel2019-05-28 13:59

    Yes, you should verify the controller is bad. Also try crossing the equivelant liebherr machine, maybe find part in European salvage. Or you can convert to pilot controls

  8. #8lsquared2019-05-28 15:31

    Thanks mg2316 and mikebramel! The tech was pretty thorough when he was doing the diagnosis and has tested virtually all of the inputs and components to the system. And I've already started searching for controllers here in the States, but may need to expand to Europe. Thanks again!

  9. #9Will Deane2024-05-07 07:50

    I'm having the same problem with 655C, park light, low range light, and electronic problem light on. I've tested the potentiometers all are very close to the same. Is there a way to set the petals without the JD tester? Any advise would be appreciated.

  10. #10Will Deane2024-05-07 08:08

    Here is a little more info. I have purchased an online manual and am pretty good with a meter. My next step is to ring out the wires to the TCU.

  11. #11mg23612024-05-07 12:14

    Welcome to HEF Will ! Check your messages.

  12. #12Will Deane2024-05-11 07:38

    Thanks, mg2361. Great information. I either need to get a petal tester or get JD to come adjust the petals.