I have a customer with a 748GIII, 8.1 liter. Last spring he changed engine oil & filter, it sat for a couple of months and a week ago went to move it. He checked the oil before starting and it was fine, started it and let it warm up. He loaded it on a low bed and moved it to the next job. Unloaded it and walked it about 75 yards when the oil pressure alarm came on. When he checked the oil it was overfull by about 2-3 inches on the dipstick, you could smell the diesel fuel in it. After checking it out he replaced the fuel high pressure pump and changed the oil. This engine has the plastic oil filter canister and he had to pry the element out, the post that the element fits around was oblong and looked like it had gotten very hot. After starting He now has no oil pressure. Anyone with 8.1 Deere experience seen the filter housing melt inside and loose oil pressure? Any other thoughts?
Provide the machine's serial number and I'll look to see if there are any bulletins related to this issue. I personally have never heard of this issue.
I thought a 748GIII had a 6068 engine? Im not super familiar with that particular skidder. But I do have a 648G2 and a 648L. Also a couple loaders with Deere. One is another 6068, and the other the old bulletproof 6414T. The 6068 in that L2 is putting out about 250hp. I didn't think any skidders had anything larger than a 6068 until the L series came out. But I could be wrong. The reason I bring this up is I have almost every manual known on 6068 and Deere skidders powered by 6068.
Reply to myself here.... I see those were a 6081.... I assumed they were 6068 since they are only around 170ish horses. They run the 6068 on up to about 300 hp in some applications now... So I am probably not much help here, other than that I know those engines are famous for loosing oil pump piping and o-rings. I have my James River Deere logging equipment mechanic on speed dial. And he is actually my neighbor. I don't want to wear out my welcome, but I could call and ask him since it's a forest machine if you want. Although not today, its Sunday here!
Thanks for the reply mg2361. Machine serial # DW748GX611957 engine serial # RG6081H296915 6081JT06 I'm trying to semi retire and since I had no special tools for this engine we had a younger mechanic change the Hi pressure pump ect.
Sorry Excavator, found nothing.
The engine has been pulled and opened up. Apparently the tube that runs from the oil pump to the block came out. There are o-rings in the pump and block ports and the tube is a push fit.
I called it....