Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

deere 750C II with white exhaust smoke and coolant loss

marcin ยท 2015-06-14 13:19

Hi everyone, Recently I posted a question about my dozer losing power in hot weather. Replacing the fuel filters fixed this problem completely. I now seemed to have noticed another issue. I have noted since acquiring the machine that the coolant needed to be replenished periodically (1 gallon every 50-100h). Now I also note that there is excessive white smoke from the exhaust. It is present at idle but higher at full throttle. It also seems that the engine oil level decreases with time. From my reading it seems that the problem may be a bad head gasket (or possibly a cracked cylinder). Is there any way of testing for this without taking the head of the engine off? Are there simpler causes of these symptoms? What would be the next step in dealing with this? Thank you. Marcin

Replies8
  1. #1Mike L2015-06-14 13:59

    sounds like a cracked/ warped head, bad head gasket, or bad liner. in any case it needs to come apart.

  2. #2Welder Dave2015-06-14 14:20

    You could test an oil sample and a rad pressure tester will tell you if you have any leaks but it still has to come apart to see exactly what the problem is. You probably want to pull the oil pan too and check the bearings. They don't get along with anti-freeze. How many hours are on the machine and did the price seem a little low? Seller might have known of the problem and put some fix in a can in the rad to temporarily stop the white smoke.

  3. #3marcin2015-06-14 14:58

    Thank you for the answers. This is what I was afraid of. Welder Dave: The machine was bought at auction from a farmer, who kept it very well maintained (with great records) and was going out of business, selling all of their equipment. They did not use it much: about 200h in the last 5 years. The price was a little lower than I could find at a dealer. Its a 2001, it currently has 2000 hours but it looks it has been rebuilt at some point: new paint, etc. I was told that it had approx 4000h when it was rebuilt. The engine is original. I am not knowledgeable enough to do this extent of work myself, but do not want to have someone take advantage of my inexperience. What price range should I be expecting to pay for this type of work. What could have cause this? If it is a cracked head problem, why does it happen? Thank you again.

  4. #4Welder Dave2015-06-14 16:27

    I wouldn't trust hour meters. Even at 4000 hours that machine should be just be past break in. Hard to say a price without knowing what all it needs. Overheating can cause a leaking head gasket and/or cracked head. Was starting fluid used on it a lot? That might cause it too if it was used in large quantities.

  5. #5paulinkansas2015-06-16 23:20

    A few years ago I bought a 1963 Allis Chalmers D17. Its a 60 horse ag tractor. Long story short...I rebuilt the top and bottom end of the engine in my garage. Prior to that, the most complicated engine thing I did was to change a valve in a briggs & stratton lawn mower engine. It's not that difficult once you have a SHOP MANUAL. Get a shop manual and fix it yourself. I'd take a S.W.A.G. (scientific wild ass guess) and say you're going to pay between 2-3.5 grand to get it fixed.

  6. #6marcin2015-06-21 15:07

    Thank you for your answers thus far. I may have been wrong in my original assessment. When I look at the smoke carefully, it is more light bluish than white. It does not smell sweet at all. I see no bubbling in the radiator. As mentioned before, my oil level slowly decreases. I recently had to add about a gallon and the smoking decreased but is still present at load. The machine works great except for some increased difficulty starting. So, I guess it is possible that the coolant leak may be unrelated? I spoke to a couple of mechanics and one said it could be the injectors and the other said it could be the turbo. What do you think is more likely. Is it safe to continue using the machine. Thanks.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2015-06-21 18:33

    A long shot but are you using the recommended oil for the machine? But if you are losing water to, if its not coming out anywhere its gotta be going in somewhere. The cheapest thing you can probably do is get a qualified person to listen to it and look at it and give you a opinion on what it is. A couple hours of a qualified machanics time could save you thousands. Good Luck and keep us posted.

  8. #8Mike L2015-06-21 19:47

    I would pressure test the radiator and look for a leak. Also an oil sample will determine if you have coolant in the oil.