Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 750J Sweeps & Screens Build

ronpov ยท 2025-03-03 23:38

Hi all, I built a set of brush sweeps and screens for our John Deere 750J. Since I searched on the web for a good while for brush cab ideas, I thought it may help someone if I post pictures of my build. We've used them for a while and they work great. The only points I could speak to is: -The screens are just made of 2x2 hog pannel and may get beat up by a careless operator, except for the screen between the sweeps, which I built from 3/8 round bar. I only had to drill two 1/2" bolt hole through each ROPS post, and got some strip rubber and rubber washers to soften the mount points. The front side screens moint to a pice of flat bar between the 2 floor bolts on each side, with strip rubber under, and the post is 2x2x1/4 square tubing. Screens are built from 2x2x1/4 angle. -The roof is 2x6x1/4 square tubing with 1/8 plate welded over it. I ran the tubing just outside the bolt holes on the roof and welded 4 short pieces of square tubing with bolt holes to the edge to attach it to the cab, and holes through the plate also. I put a piece of pipe inside the square tubing to keep it from collapsing, then washers underneath to keep the roof off the cab except for the 4 bolt contact points. I used RTV silicone when I finally bolted it down. I welded a nut in the center to mount a lifting eye. I think it would be nice to have the roof a bit wider, but didn't want the sweeps to have to go wider at the top. -The sweeps are 3x3x1/4. I built the tabs on each end. The top attachment is a solid point on a heavy piece of pipe between the tabs. The bottom attachment point is a reused rubber mount from the top attachment point from a JD 650G, as well as the exhaust pipe that I welded in the too screen. The mount on the hard nose is 2x6 square tubing also, and thin rubber sheet between the bolt flanges and the sides of the hard nose. The SS flex is from the 650G also, and I just chopped off the stock exhaust pipe and slid it over. -I had it sand blasted and painted it with 2 gal color matched epoxy paint. It seems to be a great coating, however it did chalk from the sun and looks lighter, so should have got it mixed darker or not used epoxy, but who cares. Hope this helps someone!

Replies7
  1. #1ronpov2025-03-03 23:42
  2. #2ronpov2025-03-03 23:51
  3. #3ronpov2025-03-03 23:56
  4. #41466IH2025-03-04 04:56

    That looks like it turned out pretty good. I am assuming you are the only operator? I would not be opposed to doing something like this if it were my own machine but I would be a little leary of liability issues if there are ever other hired hands running machine

  5. #5Diesel Dave2025-03-04 08:48

    Looks really good ! I hear GR Manufacturing is hiring.

  6. #6ronpov2025-03-04 09:09

    Good point! Yes it's just a ranch dozer.

  7. #7Welder Dave2025-03-04 21:07

    What kind of welding is that? Not sure I'd trust it.