Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 850 B no start.

sawdustmaker · 2024-03-31 10:40

Hi all, I let my Dozer sit for 3 months or so and now it will not start. It spins over but there is no smoke and it doesn't hit at all. This dozer usually has thick white smoke when its starting. But now theres nothing. I took the back cover off the injection pump and there was some globs of gunk in the oil. I just change the oil and it was overdue. What would cause something like this? theres a fuel leak at one injector. but i dont think that related.

Replies35
  1. #1mg23612024-04-01 05:39

    Machine serial number? There are 2 different engines for that machine. That doesn't sound good. What cover did you take off specifically? Maybe a picture of said gunk or at least a picture of what cover you removed. Good fuel supply to the injection pump? Has the fuel pressure been checked? Fuel filters inspected/replaced?

  2. #2sawdustmaker2024-04-08 19:45

    The serial number is T0850BH763168 The cover I took off is on the back of the bottom of the pump. I have not checked fuel pressure with a gauge. What I did was loosen the nut on the return and pump the primer and nothing seems to be wrong there. I can change the fuel filter, but this problem seems more binary in origination than a filter problem. But i may be wrong in thinking that. Every sign I see indicates the I have fuel to the pump, but not out of it.

  3. #3mg23612024-04-09 05:02

    Serial number is not coming up. You sure that's the correct serial? Post a picture of your injection pump.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2024-04-09 20:18

    I know which cover ur talking about.. u don’t wanna be in there..there’s nothing in there that’ll help u.. Is it an “A” pump or a “P” pump.?? It’ll be in the mdl #.. PES6”P”… OR PES6”A”… An A pump will have a removable side cover, held on w 2 screws.(10mm)

  5. #5sawdustmaker2024-04-11 20:33
  6. #6thepumpguysc2024-04-12 09:34

    Dam that’s old.!! U can remove the side cover (flat head screws) And make sure everything goes up AND down.. A lot of times the plungers will go UP but not down..

  7. #7sawdustmaker2024-04-12 20:53
  8. #8thepumpguysc2024-04-12 21:00

    R 2,3,& 6 stuck up.?? The rust isn’t a good thing.. That cavity is lubed w splash OIL.. Don’t go pounding on anything..

  9. #9sawdustmaker2024-04-12 21:07

    I havent turned the motor to check. Could the right lube in the right place fix this?

  10. #10sawdustmaker2024-04-12 21:08

    I think this is a '85 model dozer. i dont know for sure

  11. #11thepumpguysc2024-04-12 21:14

    U can’t get the spray lube where it needs to go..

  12. #12sawdustmaker2024-04-12 21:26

    Is there anything I could do before pulling the pump? It ran fine before i changed the engine oil. I did not run it for a month or too after. Thats when it wouldnt start. I also pressure washed it. That may be the root cause.

  13. #13Delmer2024-04-12 23:57

    You can try a screwdriver in the spring and tap down on the side lightly. Maybe that's not allowed either? Might not be all three stuck, turn the engine over and see if any of the three go down on their own, and also get the engine where another plunger is lifted so you know none of those three are on the cam. You can get them down be removing the delivery valves and tapping directly on the plunger, but I don't know if that will mess up the settings or not. I'd spray something on the plunger inside the springs, since it's water from pressure washing, and not stale fuel, the rust is going to be more to the outside in this case.

  14. #14Shimmy12024-04-13 00:12

    This forum never ceases to amaze me with the weird things that happen in the wild. I'm having a hard time believing that that engine was running a month ago.

  15. #15thepumpguysc2024-04-13 08:08

    1 thing u can try.. Remove the fuel inlet line and return line.. Use compressed air to blow out the gallery.. from either end.. u just wanna get the old fuel outta the pump.. Now take your favorite penetrating oil and fill the gallery.. put the overflow valve back in..and fill up the gallery.. Plug off the inlet side.. Now rotate the engine so the penetrating oil gets to all the stuck plungers.. Refill the gallery and repeat.. Once u do that s couple of times.. refill and let it sit for a good hour or two and check it.. I found an excellent penetrating oil on accident.. It’s called: KNOCKER LOOSE.. It’s expensive but worth EVERY PENNY.!!! Lemme know how you make out.. good luck

  16. #16Delmer2024-04-13 21:39

    Why? you can see the rust, he said he pressure washed it. If it was bad fuel you'd get one plunger stuck that was up the whole time. This one has at least two stuck, so one was pushed up by the cam and still stuck, possibly all three stuck after being pushed up. After you get TPG's penetrating oil in the gallery, you don't have to get the stuck ones all the way down in one shot, get each one that's off the cam and still up to move a tiny bit, let it soak some more, then crank the engine over a couple revs and they'll all be pushed to the top again. If they keep moving even the slightest bit with the engine turning, then keep cranking the engine till they drop like the others.

  17. #17Shimmy12024-04-13 22:12

    You've seen this before.......

  18. #18thepumpguysc2024-04-14 01:52

    If u can’t get a helper to crank the engine.. go to the local parts store and get a “remote starter button”… & u can do it by yourself… or get one online.

  19. #19Delmer2024-04-14 17:15

    I've never seen one with three stuck. or even two.

  20. #20thepumpguysc2024-04-14 18:46

    Your not missing anything.. If u fixed one, you’ve fixed’m all..

  21. #21thepumpguysc2024-04-14 18:49

    I just saw where your in SC.. I’m up here by Santee.. If your close, I don’t mind doing a service call.. Beats the he!! outta calling Blanchard.!!!

  22. #22sawdustmaker2024-04-16 20:18

    I got some Knocker loose and put it in the fuel galley and turned it over. Batteries obviously need charge and they got it right after this.

  23. #23sawdustmaker2024-04-16 20:23

    I used to be in Walhalla. I’m near Greensboro NC now. I would take you up on that if i was in the area. And about the remote start. This dozer has a “feature” where if you push the start button it turns over till it fires. Or you hit the master shutoff.

  24. #24sawdustmaker2024-04-16 20:33

    I can feel a difference in the throttle lever if I pull the fuel shutoff. I don’t know how the linkage is so I don’t know if that matters.

  25. #25thepumpguysc2024-04-16 20:53

    It’s a little hard to tell if they’re all going up and down but it looks like they are.. U see the gears at the very top of the opening..?? It’s the gizmos with the screwdriver slot.. They’re supposed to turn left and right when u pull and push the stop. If they don’t, then the rack is still stuck.. U can use your finger to see if they’ll move left and right.. If u have all the plungers going up and down.. & the rack is free to move L & R.. Hook your inlet and outlet lines back up.. Loosen all the lines AT THE INJECTORS, or as many as u can reach.. Unscrew the hand primer and start pumping.. keep pumping until u hear the fuel flowing from the overflow valve and it’ll get a little harder to pump.. Now with FULLY RECHARGED BATTERIES.. crank the engine until fuel starts squirting from the loosened lines.. stop and tighten the lines.. Move the throttle to 1/2 or wide open and start the engine., Good luck

  26. #26sawdustmaker2024-04-16 21:05

    This doesn’t move. Maybe i misunderstood.

  27. #27thepumpguysc2024-04-16 21:12

    Your right.. all 6 should move L and R.. with the shut off lever. Is it a manual shut off or electric with a solenoid.??

  28. #28sawdustmaker2024-04-16 21:13

    It is manual. And I have the cable unhooked right now.

  29. #29thepumpguysc2024-04-16 21:16

    So if u pull the sh. off they don’t move.?

  30. #30sawdustmaker2024-04-16 21:17

    Correct. Nothing moves when I move the shutoff lever

  31. #31thepumpguysc2024-04-16 21:19

    Try this. Pull the shut off while cranking the engine..and see if they’ll move

  32. #32thepumpguysc2024-04-16 21:26

    I’ve gotta get my beauty sleep.. I’ll check back tomorrow. DO NOT PRY ON ANYTHING.. All that stuff is pot metal and WILL SNAP.!!

  33. #33sawdustmaker2024-04-16 21:31

    Kept soaking and a little gentle prodding with a flathead and it freed up. I see what you mean. There’s nothing to pry against that sturdy. Thank you so much!

  34. #34thepumpguysc2024-04-16 21:50

    You got it homey.!! Now just follow the instructions to fire it up and I’ll send u my Zelle account number.. lol

  35. #35Shimmy12024-04-16 22:12

    I will say it again, I can not believe the amount of rust in that pump. I have a very hard time believing that rust happened in a month....I just can't buy it. I realize this is South Carolina, but wow. Just wow. Glad you got the rack and plungers freed up.