Recently purchased a kinda unique machine. 870G excavator with serial number ending in 001. Apparently this was the very first one sold and was shown off at Conexpo etc... Does anyone know the first model year of these? Seller suggested it was a 2010 but everything I find online is 2012 and newer?
The machine's build date is listed as Nov 17, 2010 in Deere's system. The serial number confirms this with the letter "A" (which is 2010) in the 10th position (this only applies to the 17 digit format).
So would most call this a 2011 machine then? If it’s anything like the automotive world, I know they would.
I would say it is a 2010. I have never heard Deere say anything about a break point for the next calendar year. Year of production really means nothing to us at the dealer. Serial number is king. The reason is that there are always running changes to the machines, and that can happen at any time in a given year. They log the changes by serial break.
Good to know. Yeah with vehicles they can be built on the 6th month and already be called the following year.