Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 892e lc will not start.

Bartm ยท 2017-01-14 22:10

To start off with I just bought this machine. I started it and unloaded off the truck just fine. It needed new batteries so did so a couple days later the machine started and ran well. I walked into our shop to grab grease gun then I heard the machine die. I found I had a bad connection on a battery cable as it melted the soder off the end of one cable. From this ponit the machine would not start. It got to where the stater would not roll it over. I removed the starter and sure enough the abindix was stuck out so I knew I had a problem there so I had it rebuilt. After i put it back on, the starter will not roll the engine over. At this point I think it is a crank bearing. I have a tool to put in the bell housing to ratchet the engine over. The engine rolls over really well one direction but not the other. As I am checking voltage it rolls over great but I let off the key switch out of habit and it has yet to try to roll over at all but the starter. Is there a such thing as it being hydro locked? Or any other suggestions?

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2017-01-14 22:27

    Yes, there is such a thing as hydro locked, I don't think that's what you have though. Thanks for giving us some history, how about how many hours and have you checked all the fluids? Especially engine oil, coolant, hydraulic fluid, FUEL. Also, do you know anything more about the history? was this a consignment auction purchase? Are the new batteries charged up, and hooked up correctly? There shouldn't be solder on battery cables "by the book", and if it melted, it got way too hot. So you have a bunch of possibilities which makes it fun Can you get a hold of the fan and belt, to see if you can budge the crankshaft over a tiny bit at a time. It will get hard to turn as the compression builds, but wait several seconds and you should be able to turn it over a little at a time if you can get enough grip on the belt. Two full turns to see if anything is locked, and then backwards.

  2. #2tbone14712017-01-15 20:30

    Probably not your problem but deere put both 12v and 24v starters on them. I know you had your rebuilt but we had a similar problem and it turned out the previous owner put a 12v on and we should have had a 24v. If a bearing went out you would have heard some pretty bad noises. I 2nd turning it over by hand. There are also a fee relays that could be bad. I think there are 3 by the batteries. 2 safety and 1 main battery relay. Hand turn and check starter voltage. if all is well jump the starter and see what happens