Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere engines in excavators

tbedros ยท 2023-06-04 16:24

Does anyone have any experience with the 4 cylinder deere engines installed in the 160 g? I am wondering if the deere engine is as fuel efficient as the isuzu engine installed in the hitachi zx 160? Lokking at the 160 size excavator class and the deere dealer is close by. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1Tones2023-06-04 17:51

    That would probably be the JD 4045 engine which has been proven to be reliable and is still being manufactured unlike some of the Isuzu engines. IMHO availability of parts is better than fuel economy.

  2. #2Zewnten2023-06-04 18:06

    I know we never had Isuzu engines drop valves after adjustment but a couple Deere did. Also seemed like the Isuzu didn't need much adjustment compared to the Deere.

  3. #3Tones2023-06-04 22:42

    Some of the Isuzu engines in other ZX models have had some problems. Turbo was one that comes to mind, can't remember what the others were.

  4. #4tbedros2023-06-05 05:37

    Thanks for the reply. Years ago I purchased a Deere 690D with a 6414T and had numerous problems with the engine.