Hi, Does any of you have long term experience greasing heavily loaded pins and bushings with John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease? We do not have any Deeres, I just spend quite a bit time reading their operator manuals online. Even for excavator booms, Deere seems to prefer the above grease over their own lithium complex thickened moly grease. Is moly generally overrated or is this grease super sophisticated? Let's start another grease discussion
Haven't tried JD polyurea grease and I know very little about it. However, I used Moly lithium grease for at least 25 years when I was a contractor, and it was very good. Molybdenum disulphide has the unique ability to lubricate even when dried out, as compared to other lubricating compounds such as graphite, which lose their friction-reducing ability once dirt has penetrated the joint and it has gone dry.
Deere Polyurea grease and most other polyurea greases make horrible excavator greases. You really want an Extreme Pressure (EP) grease to deal with the heavy loads. Polyurea is a non-reversible grease, meaning once its exposed to a high load and the oil has been displaced from the thickener it can not reassert itself into the thickener. The Deere Polyurea is designed for long life applications that are not exposed to heavy loads, high speed bearings, electric motors, ect... Like OzDozer said moly is a good additive, when the load is higher then viscosity can handle the moly can protect the equipment (EHL). Think of moly as your greases secondary line of protection, you still need a good primary protection though.