Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere Right to Repair

L.excavating · 2025-11-22 09:00

I’m looking at buying a 331-p as they have much better financing than Cat and Kubota at the moment. They’re 0% for 63 months. That’s considerably better than Cat’s 0 for 36 and Kubota had 2.99 for 84. I’ve never owned any recent Deere equipment, are they the same as their ag equipment that block you when you get any check engine light or code to force you to call the dealer to clear it? I’m planning on keeping this machine for at least 20 plus years, so these things will matter to me in the long run. For example, when I have to replace the alternator, will it throw a code and put me in limp mode until the dealer arrives? I know you need the dealer for serious repairs and technical assistance, and that’s fine. But for simple repairs, it would get old really quickly. Let me know what’s really going on.

Replies6
  1. #1rodcap2025-11-22 09:31

    @L.excavating Welcome to Heavy Equipment forums. John Deere supports the Right-to-Repair for all equipment they manufacture. They will provide access to the necessary tools, parts, and manuals for customers and independent technicians to safely perform maintenance and repairs. However, John Deere does not support modifying embedded software due to risks to safety, emissions, performance, and data security. Click here for m ore info.

  2. #2mg23612025-11-23 06:18

    Welcome to HEF L.excavating ! The "P" series has had a software update to unlock the technician mode and now allows cutomers full access to the diagnostics in the monitor. That would include code clearing. But, like you said, there will be some instances where a dealer (or an independent with software) may have to be involved.

  3. #3L.excavating2025-11-23 10:56

    Thanks! That’s what I was looking for. My 259D is like that.

  4. #4masterwelder2025-11-26 19:32

    MG, how about the”K” Series? I have a 650K LGP that’s been trouble free so far but eventually will need something, will I or an independent be able to work on it?

  5. #5mg23612025-11-27 06:36

    You have to access the service mode on that one. Just key on or start the unit, press and hold the menu button for 5 seconds until the word SERVICE MENU appears. Release the button. You are now in service mode.

  6. #6Tones2025-12-08 18:34

    It seems like Mr T is going to have a fix for you folk