Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Demag CC6800 crawler crane

CAT992G ยท 2009-03-03 15:11

Hi @ all! Here some pics of a Demag CC6800 crawler crane from Schmidbauer (germany). The crane can lift 1250 metric tons, the counterweight has 250 tons. Hope you like the pics

Replies38
  1. #1CAT992G2009-03-03 15:16

    You can see more pictures of the crane in better quality on my new homepage

  2. #2CAT992G2009-03-03 16:52

    here is the link: http://www.baumaschinenmodelle.com/fototouren-krane-schwerlast/

  3. #3liebherr11602009-03-03 17:45

    thats an awesome machine ..great pictures...biggest ive been around was the CC2800... that machine has 330 Tonne of ballast on her ...theres an additional 8 tonne of counter weight in the carbody ...otherwise known as central ballast.. Throw on the ballast wagon and you can add up to another 450 tonne... 880 tonne of ballast (970 US ton)...the logistics of moving that alone makes a guy stand up and look...not something you would want on yer toes ...

  4. #4td25c2009-03-03 20:57

    Vary impressive.I like the cribbing under the tracks,I guess it keeps it from tearing up the steet and rail road track's.Add a jib to it and it would make a good windfarm crane.Good looking pics.

  5. #5John C.2009-03-03 20:58

    Nice photos but why are they only using the back boom? There should be a front boom, queen posts and a luffer on top of that. I've only seen the wheel horses used to pickup or put down the main boom and luffer after assembly. Do they have any of these in the US yet?

  6. #6liebherr11602009-03-03 21:43

    Yes Mammoet Crane has one for sure, by now possably 2 in the US.. That is the main boom ..note the two hoist in the heel.. on the superstructure just above where the heel pins , theres 2 raised lugs ..the live mast or super lift as its called mounts in there ... and you do have a chart with the ballast wagon ,on different boom configurations ..,theres also a tray ..but thats another animal... ..depending on boom you may need an assist ..be it ballast ,side track outrigger's or another crane to stand her As an example .. Without super lift (wagon & mast) 108 meter boom ,250 +80 tonne counter weight at 96 meter radius she can handle 7 tonne with superlift 108 meter boom, 250+80+450 tonne counter weight ,at 96 meter radius she can handle 83 tonne... Thats all a very ,very good ball park capacity..she's a mean lifter.. 25c ... ...the underwriters wont insure you if it goes for a dive and theres no dunnage..its usally not so much tearing it up as it is going through it .. I remember seeing number's with track loading.. no load-- fully rigged of just over 500T ,I dont know if this is each or between the 2 never got that part....

  7. #7td25c2009-03-03 22:06
  8. #8willie592009-03-03 22:13

    You got it liebherr. When you set up rigs this big, all things have to be considered. When these things come down, they come down hard. You have to know the ground is sufficient for support, the base has to be prepared appropriately and mats laid to distribute load, as these things are a load in themselves, not to mention what they pick. I have a brother that works in the safety dept of a large refinery in Louisianna and he sends me pics that circulate through his safety community about crane accidents, large and small. Most all of these accidents are mistakes by operator or the operation as a whole. They had the Deep South Versacrane at his refinery early last year to set a Hydrocracker. When the Versacrane went down in Texas late last year it made even me sick. The accident was caused by improper operation of the rig. With cranes, there are no small mistakes. There's only one way to properly operate cranes, no matter what size they are; Zero Defects.

  9. #9td25c2009-03-03 22:43

    I dont want get to far away from Cat992G's thread,But what realy happend to the versacrane ?I remember seeing photograph's of the accident,one looked like the house separated from the outriggers.I havent heard anymore about it.

  10. #10willie592009-03-03 22:52

    I'll see if I still have the email he sent me with pics, if so, I'll send them to you. Basically what happened was they were working in tight quarters, and to swing the crane into the position for a lift, the main boom had to be raised to a high angle to miss plant equipment. With the main boom at a high degree angle and no load on the hook for ballast, the rear boom pulled the main boom backwards over the top. It all came down.

  11. #11td25c2009-03-03 23:10

    Thank's ATCOEQUIP.It just goes to show that we cant overlook any detail big or small in the crane business.

  12. #12CTDiesel2009-03-04 00:56

    Neat pictures. I would love to see one in person one day. They had a large crane here in Indy for a while when building Lucas Oil Stadium, but I was not able to see it much closer than a quarter mile or so.

  13. #13willie592009-03-04 20:03

    That Demag is a sweet rig among large cranes. Serious lifting capacity, rather compact for a large crane, and I'd say very mobile with it's large tracks. If you look at a rig like a Lampson, the Demag seems like a rig that could walk easily around a site. Nice Crane.

  14. #14td25c2009-03-04 20:16

    It look's like the 6800 has two drums on the house.what are the two drums in the base section of the boom used for?

  15. #15John C.2009-03-04 21:43

    I didn't see the boom reels to start with. The boom mounted drums I believe operate the two lifting lines. The two drums on the house handle the back boom and wheel horse weights I think. It's been awhile since I was around those monsters. I think I saw the Mammoet machine in Houston a few years back. They were erecting it at their shop to train the crew. I don't know if it was a 6800 but I know it was far bigger than the CC4000 I was doing a project on. Thanks again for the photos.

  16. #16liebherr11602009-03-05 15:51

    theres actually seven drums on that unit .. three in the superstucture...one boom hoist ..and two more hoist ..one main one auxillary ..but the two can be compiled into a double main on a double block hook block ...See pic the heel has the luffing hoist and another auxillary ...which can be used as the whip line in the double block scenario.. theres a reeving drum ..that will pull your main hoist ,luffing and whip line out.. there's another on the back of the superstructure that will attach to the super lift tray or wagon...im still not entirely clear on that .. You can see two sheave packs ,attached to a equalizer plate that has the hook attached to it ...this will use two drums,both have to hoist up and down in unison by the computer or manually ..as to keep the sheave packs level ...someday's theres no sustitute for a good signal man (the hole in the hook is for a shackle,, these are also in smaller blocks that have that hook design...the reason is so any load pulling on the hook dosent unevenly load the block..and yes it can be done)

  17. #17CAT992G2009-03-05 16:58

    :wavingthanks for your interest! Here i have some more pics of the crane. Note: each of the counterweight parts weights 10 tons, so you can easily calculate the complete weight of the counterweights.

  18. #18CAT992G2009-03-05 17:04

    hook

  19. #19liebherr11602009-03-05 17:08

    Thats 10 tonne (t) equalivent to just a tad over 11 Ton ( U.S.) ... I have moved those Demag stone's countless time's ..they all come in a just over 22,000 lbs each ... Double block with dead ends ... Thats a nice picture They also put sand under the dunnage,,,100% contact to ground ...no pressure points and helps sometimes to make up any slope in the grade

  20. #20scholzee2009-03-05 23:12

    Geez what the heck you need tracks for LOL does not look like it ever crawls there is still paint on them !!!

  21. #21liebherr11602009-03-06 15:07

    Funny you mention that ..from what i understand though i dont know for sure ..Demag has optional outrrigger's for it ..

  22. #22CAT992G2009-03-07 15:26

    This CC6800 is brandnew, first assembly was in november 2008, thats the reason for the paint on the tracks

  23. #23scholzee2009-03-09 15:59

    Ok but with that cribbing and mats its not crawling anywhere ??

  24. #24liebherr11602009-03-09 20:00

    the larger cranes ,they dont do much crawling . the ground preperation in itself would be a task for a unit this big ...if it had to move it would most likely have to be matted out to where its gonna set next .. alot of times they get set for a heavy lift and often dont move any great distance if they move at all ....

  25. #25willie592009-03-09 21:04

    Which is the beauty of this machine, it is mobile when needed. Compared to more stationary rigs like a ringer. Or a machine like a Lampson with it's counterweights on seperate tracks, they are mobile, but still a coordinated operation. The Demag is a big, compact, moveable crane. All different types of cranes have their place.

  26. #26liebherr11602009-03-09 21:23

    i totally agree this is a 1200+tonne machine ...which its hydraulic equivalent would bu upward to 1500 tonne ...the largest made in hydro is 1200 tonne .. the conventional crane's are the bench presser's of the industry ....there's just no substitute sometimes

  27. #27dawoodwa2009-03-11 22:28

    Mammoet is putting one together right now in middle Georgia on a project for Ga Power. One of the first cranes they moved on the job was a Manitowoc 21000, I thought it was big until the Demag showed up. That puppy is huge. I believe they are putting about 300 feet of main boom on it. The luffing boom will reach out about 200 feet. They have to set some 170 ton beams about 200 feet up and about 200 feet out. Today they were attaching the luffer on it, they are doing all this in the air since the area where the crane is set up won't allow for them to lay it down.

  28. #28BigIron252009-04-21 20:04

    wow, that is simply amazing. nice pics! thanks for posting!

  29. #29hummer132009-06-27 14:27

    My favorite crane great pics. I am biulding a model of this very crane. Demag does have a outrigger option which makes this a PC6800, I have a serial number of a cc6800 which is awesome because you can go to the Demag website and get a nice parts break down of this beast. I will get some pics of my model and post them later Jason

  30. #30NICKYGEAR2009-09-21 13:34

    Wow thats a big crane i can rebuild all types of gears for equipment like that he is my web site www.churonco.com

  31. #31Midwestern4x42009-10-07 06:07

    You get any good pictures of that going on?

  32. #32CAT992G2010-03-17 06:13

    some new pics of the CC6800 with derrick configuration. More pics in better resolution on my homepage: http://www.baumaschinenmodelle.com/fototouren/krane-schwerlast/ :drinkup

  33. #33Midwestern4x42010-03-17 20:14

    Thats just plain sexy....

  34. #34cranedude072010-03-17 21:05

    i agree ^, that is one awesome looking crane, great pics, keep them coming

  35. #35ddtruc2012-11-23 09:46

    There was a disastrous accident in Vungtau, Vietnam on 18 Nov 2012. While lifting and moving a load of 360MT a CC6800 toppled killing 3 people and injured other 2. Primary causes for this accident could be "unstable road surface". May I have some questions on this: 1) what condition or design requirements for the road to be appropriate for this CC6800 ? 2) does it always need dunnage and sand underneath the chain for mobilization of the crane? Appreciate your prompt response. Thanks, DDTruc

  36. #36songbird332013-06-03 23:46

    To Whom It May Concern Sir,We noted the photos of the Demag Cc6800 crawler 1250mt.We have interest and would be obliged that you could advise the following: 1. Full specifications. 2. Hour run 3. Type of attachments 4. Serial number 5. Price FAS port. 6. Payment format Please email reply to" [email protected] Thank you Best Regards Chew Tracford Trading Co Blk.910 Hougang St.91 #06-74 Hougang Singapore 530910 Tel: 065-63879913 Mob: 065-83423683 Sg.Govt Business Reg No.101495-00E

  37. #37TC36002013-06-06 10:19

    The crawler crane, you saw on the photos, was owned by Schmidbauer KG., Munich/Germany. Meanwhile Schmidbauer sold the crane to a new owner in Thailand. So no offer is possible !

  38. #38glenlunberg2013-06-19 23:00

    WOW! Very awesome! SUPER BIG CRANE! I would like to see this personally!