I'm bidding on a burned house for demo. New demo bidding. Have done plenty of demos over the years but never on the bidding end of it . I would like to no how do you determine how much debris you have to haul off ? The house I'm bidding is probably 3200 -3500 sq feet . ANY INFO ?
Post a pic or two ill give you the yardage, been doing it a long time. Pj
Try to get pictures in next couple of days. THANKS
I have an excel sheet I set up for demo debris calculation. It works well for existing structures but you have to adjust a few numbers for a burned house. Post some pics and We'll help you out.
I was wondering do you use square footage of the house or how your formula works. I use square footage to get the number of cubic yards in the house and use that to figure out the excavator time and trucking time form there. basement are added in after that. Starting a burnt up elevator cleanup tomorrow
Cubic yardage is somewhat dependent on the size of the dumpsters/containers that you haul the material in. The larger the containers, the less cubic yards that you will have. You will also benefit with less trips to the landfill with larger containers. Bigger is better. The larger the excavator, the faster that you can load and the more efficient fill the containers. Concrete basement walls will have less tonnage mixed in with the landfill debris as opposed to CMU block, limestone, or brick foundations. The concrete walls and foundations will have more material to haul away as solid fill and will be more difficult to demolish. Just my 2 cents.
HUH??:beatsme
Yes, my spreadsheet is pretty simple - enter the LxW to get the SF of the structure and it calculates the CY of debris. The base calculation is 1300 SF = 100 CY. There is a cell to add an extra factor into the volume calculation to take into consideration personal contents, masonry, etc. I have found that 1300SF =100CY is a good base line estimate to start from and by adjusting the factor, one can fine tune the estimate to suit the job. I usually just go with prior experience on estimating the time it will take to tear it down and load it out. After all, the demo and load out is the cheaper part of the equation, the CY of debris and disposal is the expensive part. You don't want to get that wrong.
Just happened to have a conversation with one of the carpenter subs on the job today. He's been demo'ing a burned out house this past week. FWIW, he says it was 28 x 40, plus the garage, and the roof was completely gone. He's into his fifth 30 yard dumpster, but that one won't be completely filled, so it'll stay around and collect the first of the new construction debris from rebuilding.
I got my rear end handed to me once on a small burn demo. Looked in the front window of the house and saw a burned up living room, thought no big deal just measure the outside. The rest of the windows had been boarded up. Well I should have looked in the rear bedrooms because they were stacked floor to ceiling with personal contents. That mistake added 3 extra 30's and pinched the budget. Moral of the story is check your demo out well before bidding.:cool2