Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Demo job

crane operator ยท 2016-08-09 22:58

Removing a old amphitheater and stage. Took the guys up in the basket to torch the main beams, holding up a 80' x 120' (approx) building. There was probably 50,000lbs of iron, girders and roof up there. I usually don't do much manbasket work with all the self propelled manlifts around, but they can't get as far away from the building as I could with the crane. We looked the project over from a lot of angles, and did a pile of pre lift paperwork, justifying our plan. It dropped without a hitch. I was just providing the crane and basket and planning for the demo company, it was their project, and their guys in the basket. We started cutting from the bottom, they finished the top cut by reaching through the bottom side of the basket, putting them above the roof as it fell. I always find demo interesting. There's no set pattern or plan, and you can study it all you want, but your really not sure what it's going to do until you cut it loose.

Replies1
  1. #1Bumpsteer2016-08-09 23:13

    WOW, that was one heck of a support structure. Good job! Myself, I've always liked being in a basket. Did a bunch of tree trimming in one. The crane can move you around better than a lift and nothing to worry about hitting when things fall. Ed