Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Denso 1J550-53000 fuel injectors

Harleyhoracio · 2021-01-25 20:34

Performed a valve lash adjustment on my 2009 A300 (thanks willie59!) and pulled the injectors to have them tested thinking they should be good since the machine only has 1508 hours on it. To my dismay, I have 2 injectors that pop at 2650psi and 2 at 2700psi. The manual calls for 2702 to 2845psi. Question is, do I opt for getting mine re-built for $500 or get new ones for $1000? Obviously the guy that owned this skid before me didnt believe in changing fuel filters often enough.

Replies8
  1. #1Coaldust2021-01-25 20:55

    Considering the fairly low hours and the fact the nozzle opening pressure isn’t that far off spec, I would opt to send the business to your local fuel shop. They will appreciate it and you will save a few bucks. It’s normal for the nozzle springs to get a little soft as the hours of operation increase. Popping pressure isn’t really related to fuel filter replacement schedules. Dirty fuel will plug up the nozzle orifices and mess up the spray pattern.

  2. #2Delmer2021-01-25 22:08

    What kind of symptoms and what did it sound like? Those numbers sound close enough to me. Is that the new spec, or the used spec, or doesn't it say?

  3. #3Harleyhoracio2021-01-26 09:55

    I didnt have any symptoms, I thought I'd get them checked since I was doing the valve lash. The manual only specifies factory spec.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2021-01-26 22:28

    200 psi between injectors is acceptable factory standards.. If they chatter with a slow movement of the pop tester.. they’re fine.. But they must have a good spray pattern.. to be deemed acceptable.

  5. #5Harleyhoracio2021-01-27 19:27

    The dealership didnt give me alot of info. They just said, two barely passed and two failed. I should have inquired about the spray pattern. The shop I sent them to will check them out before any re-building happens.

  6. #6Coaldust2021-01-27 21:35

    There really isn’t anything wrong with those nozzles. The dealer was probably going with the service manual recommended MX schedule and wanted to upsell you some parts & labor. The 19 year old mechanic running the pop tester ?? Highly subjective watching for the gauge needle to max out. Takes some experience and feel to be accurate. Lightly remove the carbon with a BRASS wire brush and install new sealing washers. Back in business.

  7. #7Harleyhoracio2021-01-29 14:06

    That's exactly what the owner of the shop where I sent these injectors had said. Spray pattern is beautiful and no chatter. He commented if they were his, he wouldnt do a thing except clean them up and change the coppers. Where do you find honesty like that these days? He didnt even charge me to check them out or clean them, so all I'm out is a few bucks shipping both ways. Now I can take that money I was expecting to spend and put it towards my leaking drive motors. If anyone needs a reputable injector shop, I wouldnt hesitate to reach out to Trish or Rod at Pacific Fuel Injection in Portland OR.

  8. #8Bluox2021-01-29 20:13

    I've dealt with these people for years and they are a rare bunch. I believe Trish worked there before it was PFI and she has more knowledge of fuel pumps than most "experts". The whole bunch are first class. Bob