Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Denver CO area Cat 2.2 diagnostic

wlhequipment ยท 2026-04-15 17:09

Hey folks, If anyone in the Denver CO area has the right Cat software to do a diagnostic on a Sullivan 185 with a Cat 2.2 please give me a call. I have a customer with one that's giving him fits, and I can't talk to it. I'm paying cash. Please and thank you. 303-789-5933

Replies8
  1. #1wlhequipment2026-04-15 17:45

    Just cuz I know someone is going to ask. Engine s/n is G4303861. Here's the history on that thing. About 6 months ago, the customer called me and said the little compressor is getting hot and would I come have a look. This was my first involvement with the machine. It was purchased on a rent-to-own deal from Wagner, I believe, a few years ago. I didn't need to run it long because the water pump was leaking coolant all over the place. I replaced the water pump, and thermostat and ran it all day, 7 hours in service air mode and no problems found - brought it back to the customer. They ran it for awhile and now it's shutting off randomly. Nothing on the control panel, and no other information available from the customer. Just that it shuts off. I brought it back to the shop and dug a little deeper. I found air was entering the fuel system from the water separator, so I replaced it and the rubber fuel lines. No more air found. I ran it again all day this time for 2 days straight and it ran like a champ, no trouble. I don't have the software to connect to it, all my software is too old, and I'm really not interested in buying a new software deal for this one machine. I don't mess with Cat at all, and that would be a dumb investment IMO. Soo.... I'm looking for a tech with current Cat software to come plug into this damn thing and tell me if there's any codes or anything pointing to a problem. If there's nobody around, I'll take it to Wagner and have them do it, but I'd rather give that money to a fellow wrench bender. So, if anyone wants some bucks for a quick diag, please call. My name is Pete and my number again is 303-789-5933.

  2. #2Simon C2026-04-28 20:43

    Did you bring it to Wagner to get it fixed or are you still waiting if someone can come and code scan it. Could offer a few things to try, but is it still shutting down and more often than before or is it just intermittent. Simon C

  3. #3wlhequipment2026-04-28 22:23

    I gotta be honest, I forgot all about it. Yeah it needs a scan, nobody called yet.

  4. #4Simon C2026-04-29 18:45

    Is it hot when shutting down as per temperature gun on thermostat out hose, or does it just shut down randomly. Small compressors like that can not be run full tilt for very long and will shut down on overheated compressor oil, possibly with or without a code. Worth testing with 1/2 inch pipe outlet on end of hose to see if it shuts down, could of been used too heavily and bang shuts off. Simon C

  5. #5wlhequipment2026-04-29 22:32

    I never considered restricting the output to make it work a little harder. I've run it for hours with no problem, wide open. Maybe if I restrict it a little, whatever's shutting it down will show its ugly face. Thanks for the tip!

  6. #6Simon C2026-04-29 22:39

    I worked a lot on Sullivan 210's, 750's and 900's also some Ingersoll Rand units and closing off the air discharge lowers the load. Some units are built so you can not overload whereas others can be overloaded. Syullivan 210,s can actually have a fire in the air -oil separator that melts the whole filter. Have seen 2 times. Not sure what is happening to the unit you are posting about, but they usually have 2-3 sensors in series that will shut the unit down if something goes wrong. Not sure if it will forsure be recorded if it happens. Simon C

  7. #7Tyler d4c2026-04-30 06:31

    Ive heard of the seperator filter burning in the IRs too

  8. #8wlhequipment2026-04-30 07:47

    Gotcha. Well I've done everything I can to find out why this little bugger is stopping. The owner, of course, can't be bothered to take a pic of the control panel when it stops, and whatever is causing it is leaving no indication that I can see. So I'm hoping a scan will reveal something. Because, of course the machine operated perfectly, all day every day before I replaced the busted water pump, so this must be all my fault. Nature of the business.