I've read one thread on here discussing government auctions but was wondering what was your all's opinion on state department of highway auctions in states where the maintenance records are accurately kept. Yes I know it is a loaded question but was just wondering if you'd feel any better getting a great price on a piece of heavy machinery from a place that allegedly takes great care of their auctions vs private party.
We buy quite a bit of ex government on auction I could care less about there records buy on market value with some wiggle room for repairs Being state or county owned doesn't raise the price any in my mind Example a large city owned dump truck with records found jb weld repairing the rusted engine oil pan and wore out spring hanger bolts "rebuilt" with a welder County owed grader with immaculate records Engine went within 3 months trans in 8
you never know. I bought a mowing tractor, from a 3rd party who usedta buy from state auctions, back when I was 18 and starting out. Used that tractor/mower fer 20 years, no problems I couldn't fix, sold the tractor/mower fer $300 more than I paid fer it...
I know the county equipment here are usually not good buys. They don't pay enough to have very experienced techs, so the people they have are parts changers mostly. Ive seen some crazy rigging repairs on that kind of stuff. You have to really look them over good.
Those "county" auctions are for worn out equipment that is no longer feasible to fix.. They're "patched enough" to go across the block.. Especially the diesel p/u trucks.!!! {don't ask me how I know} Look at it this way>> a company that digs hole for a living.. is selling a machine that digs holes.. why??
LOL! Never even thought of it that way but makes PERFECT sense!
Sometimes you get lucky. I bought a Ford Ranger 4x4 extended cab in very clean condition at a Wa. state DOT auction. Had a relative that worked maintenance for the DOT and gave him the unit number on the key ring. He laughed and said that had been their shop truck, had a new transfer case, new front differential and several other new components al at 130K miles. I asked why it was sold and was told "it wasn't collecting enough miles", so they were given a brand new F-250 to replace it. Huh... ?
BC. Not really the same, we send worn out junk to auction as well as gems. The only way to know is to look before you bid ( or have insider information). The only advice I can give is a purchasing agent bought cheap in most cases. There are few Cadillac’s bought by any level of government. Cam
We sell our trucks and equipment (county highway dept) at auction. The full maintenance / service file is available for inspection and we disclose any issues. We try and turn our heavy equipment to keep up to date with hydraulics etc. There was a time we were running 25 year old dozers, 20 year old loaders and motor graders, 15-20 year old trucks and a 30 year old cable crane. Talk about being inefficient and spending $$$ on repairs. We had more equipment waiting for a spot in the shop than was on the road.We would get $800 - $1000 when we sold a truck. We probably are the exception rather than the rule, I've seen some real junk being sold by some of our neighboring counties. As with any used (or new for that matter) sale, buyer beware.
The counties generally sell a range from functional to complete junk. The state of WI mostly sells stuff that has either been used and taken care of, or has been neglected and finally gotten rid of, not stuff that's been rode hard and put up wet. You don't find the cobbling and crazy fixes on state stuff that you might find in the county equipment. Maybe that is changing? as in the counties are keeping up better than they have in the past, just speculation that there are fewer earnest hard working wanna be mechanics than there used to be? Both do an honest job of disclosing known issues, I think the state has a better handle on keeping track of everybody who messes with them though. The best deal I ever got was from a private corporation, but I'd bet anything the bean counters looked at their software analysis and saw this thing had had too much work done to it recently so it must be a worn out. An analysis I didn't agree with as everything that had been done was the result of long term predictable wear, not abuse or failure. Just the parts would have been twice what I paid for it.