The engine in my 2003 gave up on me yesterday (way to busy to repair it now) so now I am frantically looking for a new or almost new kenworth mechanic truck. I have been all over the internet and have am down to 3 possibilities. what I am asking for hear is if anyone knows about trucks that are not listed in places like truckpaper.com rockanddirt.com and commercialtrucktrader.com. like something at a kenworth dealer that you've seen or a company that stopped using one because business is slow. must be 14 foot body, no more than 100000 miles, 10,12 or 14k crane.......help!TIO
Tio, wouldn't it be cheaper and faster to drop a reman engine in than move all the tools over?
Here on the east almost every dealer has one new one one on the lot , if ya got about 180,000 k laying around.
Tio, what kind of engine is in the truck. Seems to me a reman could be i stalled by in the morning by a competent shop. Be much cheaper than swapping everything to a new truck.
buy the time you find one buy it and move every thing over a remain is faster and cheaper
Never liked the truck anyway! I've been wanting/needing to upgrade since last spring anyhow, this is merely the proverbial straw and there will never be a good time. Just trying to do my best due diligence so next week something doesn't pop up that was more to my liking. I have been searching high and low for a Kenworth that was in truckpaper a few months back it was blue in color and had a Kenworth wrap on the body super low mile dealer truck, if anyone remembers who had this for sale message me please....TIO
Oh yeah it has a 180 hp dt466e....TIO
not a kw but feterl has a freightliner
I feel your pain. It's horrible with out your truck.
i remember seeing that truck on there, ill do some checking seems like it was northeastern
fservice, thanks, all efforts are very appreciated, I just want to be sure it has been sold and not just a lapse in advertising, its exactly what I want....TIO
moonlite, I am very fortunate so far, it happens to be parked in a customers shop with my largest project. I started my business so I be somewhere different most everyday, not being mobile is like a kick in the juevo's..........TIO
So here is the offer: $100 cash to the first person who p.m.'s me the add on the blue kenworth service truck I described above. $500 additional if it leads to me purchasing it.....TIO
Here ya go tio. It's on auto cranes website Seller / ID: #325 Crane: 12006H Body: Titan 70 Year: 2014 Make: Peterbilt Model: 337 Location: Northeast US Phone: 918-438-2760
hardline swing and a miss, thanks for participating though! I have seen this one too but the one I am after is a kenworth for sure and its not quite that crazy it haze "kenworth" in red across the service body kind of where the stripe is on this one........TIO
You do know they are the same truck built in the same factory. just the emblems and hoods are changed to protect the buyer right? All the pete and KW MDT's come out of the same factory in canada.
Curry supply is showing one new kw in stock ready to go.
heres one for ya! http://www.supplypost.com/dealers/nor-mar-industries-brutus-bodies?f_make_s=Kenworth&p=1&ps=1
Very nice I will call them when they get to work.....TIO
Feel your pain about the truck How about a Oshkosh. I found this one last year when I was looking but the price chased me away. Thing looks tough as nails. You don't see anything like this in my part of the world so no idea what Oshkosh is like, but looks like you could roll it off a mountain, put it back on its feet, dust it off and go back to work. I remember seeing a kenworth something like you are talking about last year also, will see if I can remember where. Will have to look on the weekend when I have some time http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2859351
I would check into the crane, not a common name, friend i know had a off brand crane 6k if i remember and had all kinds of electrical problems, allways in shop, be would not even try to use it be was so pissed, he finally left the company over it.
I looked at that Oshkosh and it is a really nice truck. I think it comes fully rigged with tools. The guy that had the truck was using it to rebuild engines out in the field. He ordered the truck the way it sits. The price is ridiculous but if you price an Oshkosh chassis you will see why. As far as the blue Kenworth was it at the last Ritchie Bros. Chehalis auction. I think it was an 07.
truckdoctor, I was at that Ritchie bros auction, that truck sold for an insane amount!!! the specs on it were horrible not to mention some issues. I hope the end user really likes it. I am now got it weeded down to 3 trucks its amazing how close in price these thing are. My offer is still open to the "blue ghost truck" I am trying to locate. I will probably be committed to something by the middle of next week...TIO.
I seen what that truck went for and it was appalling. My old service truck is up for auction in Las Vegas. It's not the specs your looking for. Try using Search Tempest for Craigslist and search your area. I've seen a few good deals there. Iron Planet auctions have been selling low recently. That may be an option. It seems like all the service truck deals are not out there right now. If you wanted a Pete there is one for sale by Sacramento Ca. that seemed like a good deal. It was a 330 with an IMT box and crane. It had a slide out welder which was nice. I think the owner was asking around $60k. It's on Craigslist.
Truck doctor, I'm not finding that Pete in sac when did you see it last? TIO
It is currently listed on Reno Craigslist. It is listed as a 1998 Peterbuilt. Make sure you spell it that way.
If you want a service truck that is over the top look up 1995 Western Star on Billings Craigslist. It's extreme. I would like to have the truck without the extra length.
Truckdoctor, I saw the western star pretty over the top! Thanks for the info on the peterbUilt, hadn't seen that one. I spend lots of time on searchtempest and Craigslist but hadn't found that one. Thanks TIO
They don't have a price listed so I dont kn ow if it fits your budget but there is GREAT looking truck on the Springfield MO Craigslist. If you look up "mechanics truck" under that city you should find it. Like I said its a 2014 so not sure what they want for it. Happy hunting! Let us know what you eventually latch on to!
Inthedirt, thanks for the info, I took a look, I have a few options more to my liking but please everyone please continue to send me info I want to leave no stone unturned so I don't have regrets after buying. Truck doctor, which truck is yours in Vegas? I have looking at that yellow peterbilt but the cat dealer wouldn't go out to verify the ECM to the odometer! They said they only do field service on "off highway" equipment I told them I was willing to pay 4-$500 to have an ECM report done they said call the Pete dealer which didn't, I'm just thinking its a waste of time the odometer just can't be right? If it is by history it will bring 80-90k which a to much....TIO
TIO, this is probably older than what you are looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. It is ex UP railroad. 1998 Ford F800 S/A Service Truck - *** C8.3-210, 8.3L, 9 spd, spring susp, 14'6" bed, 1997 IMT 2015 5000# 3-sect 20' crane, Miller Bobcat 225G 8000 watt welder/gen w/Performer 16, 2 hyd stabilizers, 77,490 miles. It can be seen at: HAMPTON TRUCK & EQUIPMENT SALES INC Truck/Trailer is located in: Idaho Falls, Idaho Phone: (888)423-5362 Fax: (208)523-7686
Here is one in the Salt Lake City, UT area: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=28887215&cat=&lpid=6&search=service truck&ad_cid=3
Liesureexpress, that's a great link pretty decent deal. Definitely the most promising thing I have seen used! I will investigate....thanks.....TIO
Cool. Here's another one, same seller: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=28859294&cat=&lpid=&search=mechanic truck&ad_cid=11 It seems like keyword searches of: service truck, mechanic truck, and mechanics truck all bring up different stuff. In addition to the www.searchtempest.com link, use www.adhuntr.com And there's 2 or 3 more on this search link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=23...distance=&min_price=&max_price=&type=&x=0&y=0
Did you get new engine in old truck yet? Looking at all the new trucks has me jealous.
Mine is the 1996 International Lot#900. It has a nice bed on it but I think the crane would be under capacity for what you want. The big drawback to that truck is that it has hydraulic brakes and is only rated for 26k. The truck is equipped with an exhaust brake so I rarely had brake issues with it but if the truck was parked on a hill you couldn't use the PTO drive air compressor because the parking brake would not hold the truck.
Truck doctor, my current one is a 2003 international it also has the hydro brakes. I've been scared more than once when I was jockeying around and killed the truck, nearly ripped the steering wheel off pushing so hard on the pedal before the secondary electric pump gave brake boost....just to small and light time to step up again.....TIO
I feel your pain I have a Actera 6500 w/ 4wheel disc. I have a 14' Carco body and scale at 26k+ daily. She can be a grumpy bitch to stop sometimes. Really like to upgrade chassis to a T300. I love the huge service body but I miss my 03' Pete 330. How much does Carco want for the 370's they have in stock? Sucks they are autos........
Deeretracks, those Kenworths at Carco are 11 footers and have many extra bells they want 168 for them that was my first cal since they are only 80 miles from me. As far as the auto trans they don't make me nervous, it must be the way to go it looks like 90% of service trucks these days are built with them ($2500) extra. Also in regards to these trucks they have Palfinger bodies on them not the custom Carco bodies which are built very nice and heavy I assume you have one of those?.....TIO
Yes, mine is an actual Carco. It's the nicest service body I've had to date. My Pete had an IMT which was very nice and my old Jimmy had a Autocrane that was a leaky POS. My 1st 2 trucks were 11 footers and I didn't have any issues but since I've had this 14' I don't think I could go back.
Deeretracks, nice to hear that a 14 footer is worth the expense. I don't have a shop so I store some extra tools at a customers shop for when I need them also my garage is pretty full. When you don't have all your tools with you it takes a bit of extra forethought which gets worse for me everyday. Lots of times I just use what I have thinking in the back of my head " I wish I had that tool that's sitting in the shop". Yesterday My truck was lowered down a skid trail with a shovel so I could get to a skidders that had busted all the bolts in the alligator, as I backed between a couple tight trees and slid down the hill backwards I thought I wasn't going to be doing this with the new longer service truck....TIO
Sometimes I miss working in the woods but stories like that make me glad to be working on machines in new housing plats or our 3 bay shop. Good luck with the search, when you live out of your truck it's nice to have one you really enjoy. My body is big enough that I'm half tempted to start working on a T800 chassis for it so I will match the rest of the fleet.
sorry to hear about your truck. I just got a new Kenworth T270 with IMT dom II 11ft and 10k crane. Went with the trail blazer air pack to try and keep hours off the truck. Moved into this truck from a ford 550 and am very happy with the change. Just stopping alone was worth the money. I got my truck from Lodi equipment in Sacramento, you might want to give them a call, when I went to pick my truck up they had a lot of trucks that were not on there web site. Didn't see the mystery blue KW, but they might have something else you want.
I think The Blue KW you are looking for was for sale by Kenworth of Saint Louis, Inc
Welcome to the Forums NV CAT MAN!:drinkup
NV CAT MAN, you found it! It's gone. I owe you $100, pm me your address....TIO
We'll since this thread has gotten quiet, we can only assume you're either traveling to get a truck or are busy loading it. Update please. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and pics
Neither, just busy at work, between getting financing and getting quotes back on trucks this process is long and drawn out. If you dot all i's at cross all t's, it takes a lot . just saved myself a good pile of money today just getting 1% knocked off the loan. Paccar has a promotional deal going on, 2 years extra warranty and very good terms just found it today and got it approved.....TIO
wow, so you're going new?
mikel, couldn't find an upgrade that made more sense than new.....TIO
I hope that you have better luck with your new KW than a mechanic I know has had with his. Got the truck brand new last year and it has been in the shop more than it has been out.
Lets hope that's not the case truck505, I have heard those stories before just don't want to tell them about my truck.....TIO
Let us know with pictures also what you finally come up with, please.
I don't wish all the bad stuff I have heard about them on you or anyone else, just wanted to let you know in case you hadn't heard about the problems.
Yes, I have a customer who bought a new T-300 a couple of years ago and he's had nothing but problems. But you can have that with anything you buy. I'm currently upgrading from my L8000 Ford to a T-600 Kenworth and am wondering what new issues I may have to deal with. The good thing is that when I'm finished building it I'll likely only have $20,000.00 invested, not like a brand new one.
Excavator, how about some pics,
overworked, I'm going to be working on it over the next few months so I'll try to get a few pics posted. Hope to have it up and running by summer.
I also run a ford L8000 service truck and it also needs a rebuild, new ones not in the budget this year.
To the thread followers I committed to truck today! It is suppose to be delivered by the 21st. I will post pictures when it arrives. Hopefully smooth sailing from here on out this summer. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas...TIO
TIO, are you gonna put a engine in old truck for now, and to help with resell?
Overworked its going to the auction as-is. I really hate working on my own stuff, very difficult to get motivated. It can be someone else's project. My hours are booked til June, for me this is unheard of. It's just time to move on and get some hours billed......TIO
Now that you say KW of St. Louis i remember drooling over that truck every time i went by. The KW dealership is right down the street from Fabick Cat
TIO, I completely understand. Were not as busy, but its hard to find time and attitude to work on stuff after dealing with buisness all day, congrats and good luck. Overworked
TIO, I might be interested in your old truck, think about your price and let me.
Jpool, it will be at the Ritchie bros march 28 auction in Chehalis Washington, unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.....TIO
Rb is having a sale here in St. Louis the 28th also. Im assuming it will just be a cab/chassis truck or are you also buying a new bed with the new truck
1466ih, selling truck complete, crunched the numbers on buying a new chassis and swapping the bed besides not wanting to do such a project it didn't seem to make sense, besides I have been wanting a bigger body crane and compressor. So the all new truck will show up I will unload current truck into new truck and get back to work. Then I will take current truck to auction and let-r-ride....TIO
Oh how nice it would be if i hadnt screwed my credit up when i was younger. Banks dont like to talk to me so if i dont have cash in hand it is out of my price range
are you still expecting delivery of your new truck on the 21st? what are you working out of in the mean time?
Furbis, I am still working out of my current truck, if I let it warm up to almost operating temperature before I ask for the horse power the amount of blow by is tolerable. It's probably lost 20% of its power which is a hole gear on the hills around here but it gets me to the job. The stinky hot oil running down the undercarriage is a little messy though. The new truck is now scheduled for Tuesday, how often do things show up early?!....TIO
It showed up today! Time to Get r loaded and back on the road....TIO
Nice! I think Maintainer makes the best service body.
Nice truck I'm happy for you that it showed up early. Its always exciting to get a new truck but after a day or two of moving my junk from the old truck to the new it gets tedious. Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk
im glad it showed up early for you!! I really like that its NOT WHITE lol I hate a all white service trucks!!! what did you spec for a transmission? when you clean/swap out the old bed you will find things that you haven't saw in years (or at least I did when I swapped trucks last time)how bout a few more pics of it?
Is that a brand new truck or a used one? It looks great and is a nice color. Did you get it through Rick at the lakewood KW?
Wow! Congratulations! That thing is purty! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats, beautiful truck!
Nice, any bets on how long before the first dent?
TIO, best of luck with your new Chariot, I realy hope it works well for you, I would love 1 of the U.S. style service trucks but in the U.K. it would be near impossible to use, the sites that would let you in with it you would probably get bogged down in seconds in the rough ground, anyhow it looks "Weapons Grade" drive it smooth tctractors
Very great looking new service truck. Hope got everything in its place and back on the road working.
Not quite together maybe today! Fun fact, please don't call hoarders, I cleaned and counted my "end wrenches" today, I am packing 232, I think I may eliminate some about 10 maybe!....TIO
Very nice truck Tio, 232 ain't bad, there is no extra, those are just blanks for more specialty wrenches.:beerchug
Was woundering if ya ran out of room in that new box yet?
Only 232? Is something wrong? I was just trying to think how many sets I have. Combination std & mm, stubby std & mm, stubby ratcheting std & mm, combination ratcheting std & mm, double flex combination ratcheting std & mm, x beam ratcheting std, half moon std & mm, s wrenches std & mm, angle std, double flex double box mm, jumbo std, and jumbo angle. Goodness, now wonder I never have any pocket money and my truck is always overweight! Good looking truck. one of our guys has one with an international under it. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Any more pics with the new girl loaded down and how you wound up setting everything up? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
no more pics yet. now she is kind of put together so i can function on a daily basis. had to order another tool box, its in the driveway but i haven't slowed down enough to install it and take the tools out of the cardboard boxes and get it loaded. I did get the name and dot numbers on to keep the weigh cops happy (graphics girl did a great job).....TIO
Very nice TIO
Thanks for the compliments guys. I think it will make work a bit easier for a few years.....TIO
Very nice looking. Would love to see more
Hit a small "Mile" stone today, been so blessed to have this new tool for this busy work season....TIO
May it be trouble free for a long time and make you good money. Nice looking rig
you haven't let it sit still very long since you got it... LOL nothing like a great truck to make life a little easier on you.. how bout a few more pics of it??
So is it big enough? Would you have done anything different?
Mike L, so far its big enough, I'm sure it will fill up over the years. I will change some things if I decide to every purchase a new truck again, I'm am not complaining, it is so much better than any truck I have had in the past. TIO
Joe, how's she treated ya the last year? I just got the go ahead to find a new truck for myself and was wondering if you were happy with your setup? I'm looking for a T370. Is yours a 300hp PX-9 w/ 6 spd AT? I'm pretty partial to 9spd service trucks but most new ones are autos. Chad
Been a long time. Where you been?
Was spending too much time on here and been absolutely buried at work for the last 6mos. Can't find any decent help.
Yes mine is a 6 speed auto and the px-9 300 hp. I would not change a thing. I prefer the automatic for myself and definitely for hired drivers. I am more convinced of maintainer being one of the best bodies on the market. The crane operates flawless, it has load sense and level sense so a guy can always lift safely without having to get out his tape measure to compare to the charts and guess at how much he is lifting. I would/will buy from Palmer trucks again, they are productive but not pushy and still have a family owned attitude to their business. Gripes: the crane remote needs batteries monthly or more often regardless of use The crane cradle for storing has a breakaway feature just driving down the road it comes loose The engine always has some sort of light on the dash, only orange which means not critical aka ignore if nothing is wrong currently it says egr is plugged been this way for more than 1000'miles, my theory is I don't want any exhaust gas recurculating anyways so ignore until I slow down? The truck has never gone to the dealer for anything The truck has never regenerated the exhaust filter, the light came on once but I drove it and it must have cleaned out just from driving 22,000 miles 813 hrs........TIO
I am guessing you have seen this on truck paper.com but here it is. You can't beat that price I'm sure through anybody. This one has the 350hp motor, which won't hurt anyone. If you are interested PM me and I can send you the salesmans name and contact info I dealt with.......TIO
Check out. http://www.brutusbodies.com With the dollar the way it is would be able to get a really nice truck.
TIO does yours have the auxiliary power pack? a lot of the new DPF trucks have one so you don't run the engine at idle for the compressor/crane and clog up the DPF filter
Thanks for the info, I was real hesitant to look at AT trucks since the last one I drove was an old school Allison that plain sucked. I haven't been around too many Maintainer bodies, glad you like it. It gives me another one to consider. I'm not in a hurry at all since my current truck is still in great shape, just looking to add another to the fleet. I was hoping they would get a handle on the dpf/egr issues before I bought a new truck but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen. I did see that truck at Palmer, if you liked the guy you dealt with please send my his contact info. Chad
DPF\EGR systems are just something we are going to have to learn to maintain. I think it will need to be part of at least an annual maintenance item. Understanding the components and procedures to quickly diagnose and repair DPF and EGR should be at the top of any mechanics list if they are in charge of these machines. 4 of the first 7 new EGR machines I have been responsible for their first shutdown/failures was some part of their EGR/DPF system. I don't know why I just chose to rant on that now but there it is. I wonder if the forum gurus will allow a full forum dedicated to EGR/DEF problems. If I had the time and money to order a custom service truck I would go Carco custome. When I was shopping they were 6-9 months out I am guessing now it would be 9-12 months out, I would be pretty sure around $170,000 on the before tax/delivery price also which I don't think that would make it worth it so then I would get the stock truck from Palmer....TIO
My current truck is a custom 14' Carco and I love it, it has tons of room and still stays dry during western Wa winters even after 10 hard years. I would love to have a T370 with the exact same setup that I have other than adding a 10k crane instead of the 8k I have now.
I think there should be a thread on DPF's because customer's have not figured out how much of a problem and costly that they really are and real issues and down time that they cause.