Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Determining CAT blade trunnion thickness?

LCA078 · 2024-11-23 18:55

Are there any places where I can look up the thickness or ball diameter of a Cat dozer blade trunnion? I haven't seen drawings or specs for these types of parts but that doesn't mean they don't exist. This is the main trunnion bolted to the undercarriage. Specially trying to figure out a D6T trunnion ball diameter.

Replies16
  1. #1chidog2024-11-23 20:36

    Go to the dealer and measure one.

  2. #2LCA0782024-11-23 20:43

    I didn't think they were still making D6Ts but I don't follow the new stuff so maybe I'm just out of touch. Good idea...there's a dealer not too far out of the way from me. No idea if they have one just sitting around. And I don't think they would have a trunnion in stock but again, I can check.

  3. #3Oxbow2024-11-23 20:48

    I have a D6T I could measure, but it is VPAT and inside mounts. I assume you want outside trunnions?

  4. #4LCA0782024-11-23 21:00

    Yes, outside trunnions for a standard blade. Thanks for the offer though.

  5. #5LCA0782024-11-23 21:02

    By the way, I'm not seeing how to measure the diameter if the blade was attached. Am I missing a simple way to determine the diameter when it's covered by the bearing caps?

  6. #6Oxbow2024-11-23 21:05

    Could take a cap off, but it won't be exact with the wear.

  7. #7Oxbow2024-11-23 21:09

    I can try looking it up on SIS if you have a VIN number. I'm not sure if dimensions are included anywhere though.

  8. #8LCA0782024-11-23 21:24

    I don't have a specific VIN but I went to Ritchie Bros and found a D6T with a full serial number CAT00D6TCNDY00387. When I put it SIS, nothing comes up. I'm assuming I'm not supposed to put the whole number in but I can't get anything to pop up.

  9. #9Cmark2024-11-23 22:00

    For that specific machine the trunnion diameter is 110.5mm.

  10. #10Joe H2024-11-23 22:04

    Couple of Cat pages from here------> https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=cat+trunion+ball+dimensions&ia=web https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/7J-5131 Trunnion Size: 88.9 mm (3.50 in) Compatible Models for part number 7J-5131​ TRACK-TYPE TRACTOR​ D6H XL D7R D4C III D6H XR D6T XW D6T LGP D3B D3C D7G D7H D6R III D4C II D4B D5H XL D6T XL D5C III D7R SERIES D6 D5 D7 D6GC D8N D4C D6H II D5R2 D5C D6R STD D3C II D6XE D7R LGP D5R XL D6 XE D7R II D5R LGP D6N LGP D6R XL D7G2 D6N XL D6R D6T D6M D6N D6R LGP D6R II D7R XR D6H D3C III​ https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/4J-1641 this one is Specifications for part number 4J-1641​ Units of Measure Material: Steel Outside Diameter (in): 3.50, 3.44 (Spherical) Length (in): 5.98 Too late Cmark knew the answer. Joe H

  11. #11Cmark2024-11-23 22:15

    To clarify, that's for part number 2850852.

  12. #12LCA0782024-11-23 22:17

    Thanks, Cmark- that's the trunnion I'm trying to "measure" without actually seeing the machine in person. I'm assuming all the info is in SIS? If so how do I find it?

  13. #13LCA0782024-11-23 22:52

    btw- SIS appears to be acting up on my side. I'm getting a lot of weird results and a lot of hang ups so maybe that's why I couldn't find any useful information earlier. I'll try again in the morning. Thanks again for the part number- I'll keep playing with it on my side.

  14. #14Cmark2024-11-23 23:55

    In the drop down menu top right, do you have an option for Similar Parts Search? If not, it's dealer only.

  15. #15LCA0782024-11-24 08:27

    So..... wow. I was finally able to get SIS working on my side this morning and tried the Similar Parts Search. Again- wow. I never knew that feature existed. Cmark- you just opened up a new world of SIS for me. I'm still playing with it and I can tell it will be an huge source of info. Thank you.

  16. #16Cmark2024-11-26 02:27

    Hey. Just doing my job