I have a 71 series detroit that I shut off and It will not start back. I have a electric fuel pump Placed in line with the fuel tank to help assist the Fuel pump. I am getting fuel to the injectors but at low pressure I have removed the top off of the governor and everything appears To be working. Any help would be appreciated.
the rack that starves each injector will not move more than 1/4". I unhhoked the rack from the governor and it still will not move. How far is this suppose to move? I have never used the gov. to kill the engine so don't know how it could of gotten into the wrong position and froze.
You probably have an injector that froze because of water in the fuel. I'm sure there will be plenty of comments on how to tell which one it is and how to fix it. Good Luck!
I don't know if I would speculate water in the fuel but I had one like that that was definitely froze up due to a stuck injector rack/rod. In my case I was able to unstick it by removing the stuck injector and putting it in a lathe, then slowly pushing the plunger down with the tail stock all the while running the rack in and out by hand while squirting WD-40 through the fuel ports, and some gunky looking fuel came out. DO NOT LET THE ENGINE START IN THIS CONDITION, it could take off and you might never get it back. But if you promise to be very, very careful, turn it over EXTRA SLOWLY, and USE A RACHET in case it takes off anyway, and have the air intake blocked off. All the while moving the rack back and forth until it frees up, and that could save you the trouble of removing the offending injector(s). However, the book answer is to rebuild whatever injectors that are sticking, as they cannot really be trusted any more. This style rack allows any stuck injector to cause full fuel to all of them, so DO NOT START until you are sure it is working right. The rack should move an inch and a half or so, most of the length of that rod that goes into the injector. Also have a pair of vise grips on the rack when you do attempt to start, to be able to shut it down instantly if need be, and a book or something to block off the air if that fails. These things are prone to overspeed.
Thanks Thanks guys, Two of the injector cut offs were frozen. I pulled them out and managed To free them up. She's running great now. Thanks again
Like Birken Vogt says "However, the book answer is to rebuild whatever injectors that are sticking, as they cannot really be trusted any more." I'm guessing this engine has the emergency shut down on the blower inlet. If you insist on running it with these injectors I would make dang sure that that emergency shut down is hooked up and working. If the injectors stick in full fuel position you only have a few seconds to kill the engine before there is serious damage to engine or even anyone near by. I've been told that stock flywheels will come apart at around 5,000 rpm with enough force to cut right through the flywheel housing. This would make for a very bad day!
In the early 70's I started my diesel work at a Detroit Diesel Shop. It was a good sized operation with about 40 engine builders. I have seen my share of "runaways" which is the reason for the emergency shut down. One of the worst ones I saw was after the fact. An 8V-53 was getting a run-in on the 500 HP Clayton Dyno. It took off and managed to grab a liner when it broke the valves in one hole. From there it pulled the liner through the block and came out the side. The piston and liner get free-form outside the block and chopped it in half, but not before the lube oil got loose and was sucked down the blower so the engine was running on diesel and lube oil. It did not last long, but there was not much left to salvage other than a few bolts and some covers. I also seen a 335 Cummins that did the same. It was in a cabover KW that was doing highway speed on I-5 when it went loose. I worked at a Cummins shop and saw the mess when it came in on the hook. There was nothing left of the block or heads where the 3 & 4 holes should be.