Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Detroit Diesel Guru’s Needed

Bergz22 · 2024-01-29 14:15

I have two 6-71's that I'm trying to get running on a tug. One is 1063-5100 and the other only says 6A48 700. The engines got water in the fuel system, and siezed the HV6 injectors that were in there. We had N55's on hand, along with the hold downs, bolts ect. I also had the newer style control arms for the individual injectors, (not breakaway) No matter which way I try to install them the little ball end won't fit into the injector lever when I line up the 1/4" bolts for the bracket. Do I need to buy new tubes? Thanks for any help.

Replies30
  1. #1Vetech632024-01-29 14:53

    Why didn't you replace the original injectors with OEM's? I'm sure the N55's will not work for you in a marine application.

  2. #2Bergz222024-01-29 15:54

    We had them on hand and that's what my boss wanted, so they didn't have to buy any.

  3. #3Vetech632024-01-29 16:16

    The marine engines are heavy builds due to them being at 100% load all the time. The injectors, timing, oil rings, pistons and compression rings are all special application. You would be best to buy the OEM injectors as they are matched to the other items for maximum performance.

  4. #4kshansen2024-01-29 16:48

    Been long time since I worked on a Detroit but aren't HV6 injectors from a two valve head engine? I tried looking up for info in an after market catalogue but not 100% sure what fits what but looks like there are 3 or 4 different injector control tubes.

  5. #5cfherrman2024-01-29 16:58

    N55's are something like 175-185hp as well

  6. #6Bergz222024-01-30 07:21

    These are two valve heads. Im just trying to get it going. My company hates spending money.

  7. #7Vetech632024-01-30 07:49

    If that is the case, then recommendations here won't matter. Do what you have to then be prepared for the consequences because it will be YOUR fault when it fails.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2024-01-30 07:55

    Seems those incorrect injectors should just get tossed overboard. If there that cheap id be questioning the paycheck!

  9. #91693TA2024-01-30 08:00

    I'd take those unit injectors apart on a bench. Really not very complicated internally at all but index marks must be aligned. You may be able to free them up by clamping the body in a bench vise and gingerly apply upward pressure to the follower with a pry and dinging hammer. Most times the are free once busted loose from being compressed.

  10. #10cfherrman2024-01-30 08:24

    A rebuilt set of injectors is under $1000, a runaway is not. If the company doesn't want to buy injectors for a old two smoke I'd be worried about getting my paycheck from them

  11. #11kshansen2024-01-30 13:01

    All these suggestions are good. One more thing if I remember right, it's been many years, is that the N injectors have fuel port that are staggered where the HV injectors are inline if you understand my terms. This would suggest that besides the problem of the arms not being lined up you would also be needing to replace half or maybe all the fuel lines under the VC! And just remember that those two valve engines were ancient history in the 1970's. The fuel lines have probably be on and off many times and they will be prone to cracks in the flared ends. So even if you do get the engines running from the water in fuel you will need to keep an eye out for fuel in oil! Did find this: Rebuilt HV6 Injector Rebuilt HV6 Injector for Detroit Diesel Engines No core fee. www.adiesel.com Only $130.40 with no core charge. Have no idea if they are any good but sounds like this company might not care, just get it running. I'm a little worried about where this "tug" is operating hope it's not near a bridge I might be driving across or a ship I might be riding on as it sounds like it could be a shady operation.

  12. #128V712024-01-30 16:53
  13. #138V712024-01-30 17:13
  14. #148V712024-01-30 17:17

    (CAUTION)Trying to run those injectors is not going to end well!

  15. #1556wrench2024-01-31 11:21

    Those old detroits are finical enough without trying to mix and match parts that weren’t intended

  16. #16kshansen2024-02-01 09:37

    Kind of like a kid playing with a set of Tinker Toys or Legos, they can be assembled many different ways but not all will be good!

  17. #17skyking12024-02-01 10:55

    he has not been back since his last post. Hopefully he is away doing the right things.

  18. #188V712024-02-01 11:10

    Being they didn’t want to spend the money, hopefully he took those old ones apart, and freed them up. I learned the hard way before. Installed wrong injectors and wrong cam timing. It ran really strong until the pistons started melting

  19. #19kshansen2024-02-01 13:21

    Some here might say that was a good thing! I know I would have liked having the little 4-53 Kato genset that was one of the last Detroits I worked on before I retired sitting in my shed when power went out for 36 hours a couple weeks back. I would have loved it even more if the exhaust was pointing at my "problem" neighbors house! The only problem is even running every electrical thing in my house at the same time might not have been enough load for that engine! I mean the little 19 HP Generac genset I do have carried most of the load without a problem, a 4-53 would be what about four times that? I know what a Detroit will do if not loaded enough!

  20. #20Truck Shop2024-02-02 19:31

    That's a good thing!

  21. #21stefuel2024-02-06 14:48

    "I know what a Detroit will do if not loaded enough!" Cause severe ear ringing for the rest of your life....

  22. #22Tyler d4c2024-02-06 16:41

    Speak up I did heat you

  23. #23cfherrman2024-02-07 09:04

    You haven't lived until you get out of the cab, go home, take a shower, hop into bed, and can still hear that thing at full throttle.

  24. #24Vetech632024-02-07 09:09

    Now THATS living! TS agrees

  25. #25skyking12024-02-07 09:21

    Picture this: My work station was in a steel box with windows. Out in front of me, the leverman ran the little crane out on the flexi float. 6 feet behind me, the 8V92T roared. This is the only picture I could find of it, in standard cutter head dredge form. It was a portable that was bolted to those two floats. The detroit ran an 8" pump and hydraulics.

  26. #26cfherrman2024-02-07 22:39

    Couldn't find a good pic of a oilfield exploration vibe truck. These old things ran a 8v92 all day at 1900 or 2100. The cab is a little above the tire in the left side of the truck. You'd wake up in the night seating gearing that thing.

  27. #27Truck Shop2024-04-09 08:19

    Ah ha---there's the party barge crane operator has been looking for to sail the oceans blue, with his favorite back ground music a detroit-won't need to hire a dj. Even has a crane for entertainment. *

  28. #28skyking12024-04-09 09:19

    lots of winch levers to play with too! It runs a stern anchor and two side anchors to move around

  29. #29Bergz222024-04-09 16:25

    I put in the n55’s. Changed hold down clamps, fuel lines, the control tubes and rods. Engines run great. And believe me I know it would have been better and less expensive to just buy hv’s. But at a certain point I have to do what the bosses want. It’s their equipment.

  30. #30cfherrman2024-04-09 17:57

    I'm guessing around 15 less HP with those injectors, so if it runs just fine you will probably get more life out of the engine