Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Detroit Diesel Oil? Rotella T1?

Birken Vogt · 2024-10-14 13:56

I never went into a Tractor Supply before so I was by and looking around. They had Rotella T1 30 and 40 on the shelf and it looks like Detroit Diesel ratings on the package but it has been decades since I changed oil on a DD. Having one that might come under my care soon and I have been asking around distributors, nobody seems to know what I am talking about with Delo 100 any more so trying to figure out sources. This one is a 16V92 so needs a considerable quantity so worth trying to figure an economical source. Would likely want to use gallon containers or 2.5 gal if they sell it that way, since I don't have any other applications.

Replies20
  1. #1BC Placer gold2024-10-14 14:46

    Delo 100 stills seems pretty easy to find up here, kind of surprising… Curious myself if there are any suitable substitutes out there…

  2. #2Nige2024-10-14 14:53

    See the attached. It seems as though Detroit use APi specifications as the basis for their oil recommedations. It appears as though Rotella T1 meets DD specs, at least in SAE 40 viscosity.

  3. #3crane operator2024-10-14 21:00

    I get delo 100 from my oreilly's, or my oil distributor.

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-10-14 21:17

    Have to remember BV is in California----there are stationaries there but about zero on highway, so the call for 30 or 40 is a odd request anymore. Can easily be had here.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-10-14 21:43

    Delvac 1240 40wt might be an option, if Chevron is difficult to find.

  6. #6crane operator2024-10-14 22:36

    Wouldn't there be some two strokes running offshore?

  7. #7JLarson2024-10-14 22:54

    We've been using the T1 40W in 2 stroke DD's for a long time now. The TSC's here all have it in 1 gallon jugs.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2024-10-14 23:13

    I live over a hundred miles from the coast. Never see anything marine, except Lake Tahoe and they ain't running any 2 cycles there.

  9. #9.RC.2024-10-14 23:24

    To save time, do you just pour the new oil on the ground rather then put it in the engine?

  10. #10crane operator2024-10-15 08:11

    Have you checked if you can order it? If I can find a part #, usually oreillys or napa can get it for me. Who is your closest big truck/ parts house? Inland, fleetpride?

  11. #11cfherrman2024-10-15 10:48

    To get ashless 40 at is hard to find, last time I looked it was a delo product, I don't think rotella is ashless. I was putting in anything I could find and lots of people run 15w40, it just burns more till warmed up

  12. #12TomA2024-10-15 13:28

    TSC has Rotella in 5 gal buckets don't know about T1 I use Traveler Diesel rated 30w in my Cats.

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-10-15 19:43

    A 2 stroke Detroit is a different animal than most other diesels.

  14. #14willie592024-10-15 21:20

    Yes, it meets the Detroit 2 stroke specs, along with Delo 100. Delo 400 does not meet the sulfated ash specs. Rotella T1 is just outside of the specs, but not by much, I'd use it if I couldn't find a local source for the others.

  15. #15Truck Shop2024-10-15 21:58

    Well if a bill is passed & signed, in about another 15 years diesel powered boats will have to have emissions. Which means a metal boat instead of fiberglass wood hulls. Sport fishers are in a uproar down there over it.

  16. #16boaterri2024-10-21 10:21

    I used Rotella T 30 w in my boat with 6-71ti Detroits with good luck

  17. #17cfherrman2024-10-21 22:03

    Just remember the wrong oil is better than no oil

  18. #18Welder Dave2024-10-21 23:49

    Might depend on what the wrong oil was. Could give a false sense of security and cause major damage as well.

  19. #19IceHole2024-10-22 01:48

    You in the US? Can call Chevron and find out who your local bulk distributor is.

  20. #20DMiller2024-10-22 05:47

    Will be watching for this as do not believe Converters/DPFs do well getting Wet.