Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

detroit diesel powered macks

dynahoescott ยท 2010-03-05 17:31

I have only seen a handfull of them, has any body have anny exprience with detroit diesel powered macks?:beatsme

Replies20
  1. #1Autocar2010-03-05 17:58

    Believe it or not but I had a 1967 R model with a 413 Chrysler gas engine. I was told that Mack and Chrysler was going to merg and they did that only one year. Then the merger fell though.

  2. #22stickbill2010-03-05 19:28

    Roadway Freight had a bunch of them.

  3. #3willie592010-03-05 19:36

    LoL, yes they did 2stick, I had forgot about that. We used to have a local bread company here years ago that had a fleet of F model Mack cabovers with 6-71 Detroits in them.

  4. #4Red Bank2010-03-05 20:39

    My dad retired from Roadway, drove out of their Winston-Salem terminal. That facility had their rebuild shop there with a dyno. I can remember when I was little going over there and the scrap metal dumpster would be filled up with blowers, sorry to hijack this thread, it just brought back some memories. By the way as a owner of a Mack I would find the practice of putting a Detroit in one sick and disturbing!

  5. #5willie592010-03-05 20:57

    LMAO! :lmao Yes, Red Bank, I must admit; we (hard of hearing) old Detroit people are sick and disturbing individuals. :tong BTW Red Bank, come and join us in chatroom.

  6. #6Will Musser2010-03-05 21:37

    I have a old R model winch truck at the shop that has a 4-53 in it. The water pump is locked up but it will sit and aircool on a cool day and not overheat lol!

  7. #71693TA2010-03-05 21:53

    Government anti trust regulations killed the deal.

  8. #81693TA2010-03-05 21:55

    They had a lot of 6V-92, and 8V-71 series in R700 series tractors.

  9. #91693TA2010-03-05 21:57

    Quite true, but I like them a lot. I have a 12V-71 with twin turbos for my R795Mack tractor.

  10. #10dynahoescott2010-03-06 14:12

    WOW! you see that, I just wanted an answer to my question and I wind up being called sick and disturbed?:Banghead

  11. #11willie592010-03-06 20:28

    Ahhh, don't pay that hillbilly from North Carolina no mind dynahoescott, he's harmless. :tong :cool2

  12. #12Red Bank2010-03-06 20:53

    Hold on a minute, I meant whovever came up with the idea of putting a Detroit in a Mack was sick and disturbed, not dynahoescott, in fact I am glad you asked the question because I had forgotten about Roadway running them in Macks and my dad drove them! When I think of Detroits I think of old GNC Brigadiers. My Mack has a Mack and I cannot think of having anything else in my Mack But I will confess, it has a 15 speed Eaton:cool2 which I love, but back to the point thanks for posting this dynahoescott, absolutely no insult meant on my part:drinkup:drinkup:drinkup

  13. #132stickbill2010-03-06 22:44

    I have seen worse than that.It was a Peterbilt with a 671 Detroit.

  14. #14dynahoescott2010-03-07 12:02

    Only joking guys, no offense taken. Like my grandfather from ireland used to say: let the sun shine on your shoulders,the wind be at your back,and may the ground rise up to meet your feet:drinkup

  15. #15Paystar2010-03-07 20:03

    Back in the early 1980's a bunch of loggers here in northern Ontario were running Superliners (with the four round headlights) with 8V92's. They were pretty reliable, easy to work on, but no match for an E9. The last one I knew of was just scrapped about three years ago. It had been sitting for a long time, scavenged of parts but it was finally crushed. Kinda too bad, being rare, might have been cool to restore.

  16. #16Steve Frazier2010-03-07 20:41

    There used to be an R model fuel oil delivery truck around here that had a Cat 3208 in it, the only one like that I've ever seen. I've heard Mack's with Detroits in them from time to time, not often but more than once.

  17. #17Paystar2010-03-07 21:04

    I still remember those old Detroit powered Superliners. After the years I spent in Mack and Cat powered Superdogs, looking back on it, it seems really weird seeing one coming down the road all wooded up with logs and hearing that screaming two-stroke through straight pipes when you're so used to hearing the deep bark of an E-9 or 3406.

  18. #18amtronic2010-03-08 08:43

    In the early 60's we had an LJ Mack with a 6-71. It would start up and run backwards - and did that on more than one occasion!

  19. #19aarcwelding2010-11-25 14:59

    saw one cl700 highway tractor with sleeper with series 60,it did nt suffer from cam failures,was worn out and rarely was in

  20. #20rrangus2010-11-28 20:42

    Ya and those Detroit's kept two Van Norman crank grinders running three shifts five days a week at the old Carolina Garage in Winston Salem, and then in Statesville when the Brown boys set up their own machine shop.